[I] Naming cats - and odd feline behaviour!
Clare
2005-06-16 16:28:35 UTC
Well, after nearly three weeks, I have finally named my cats. The boy
is now Mustrum, being firmly behind big dinners - even to the extent of
nicking other people's, and the girl is Esme. Well, they are getting
on, with the odd squabble and playfight, and she gives as good as she
gets. She could have been a Daisy, but I thought the Discworld theme
was better in the end.

However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them has. I don't
know which because it happened while I was out, but someone feline has
been eating the cotton ends - plastic and all - off some cotton buds!
Needless to say I was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds
out of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....

Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
Kimberley Verburg
2005-06-16 18:10:34 UTC
Post by Clare
However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them has. I don't
know which because it happened while I was out, but someone feline has
been eating the cotton ends - plastic and all - off some cotton buds!
Needless to say I was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds
out of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....
Then they're probably fine. On the other hand...I'd double-check any dark
corners in the house, especially corners full of wires. And don't walk
around with bare feet!
--
Kimberley Verburg
***@lspace.org
Brian Wakeling
2005-06-17 00:45:12 UTC
In a speech called
Post by Clare
Well, after nearly three weeks, I have finally named my
cats. The boy is now Mustrum, being firmly behind big
dinners - even to the extent of nicking other people's, and
the girl is Esme. Well, they are getting on, with the odd
squabble and playfight, and she gives as good as she gets.
She could have been a Daisy, but I thought the Discworld
theme was better in the end.
However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them
has. I don't know which because it happened while I was
out, but someone feline has been eating the cotton ends -
plastic and all - off some cotton buds! Needless to say I
was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds out
of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
If it looks sufficiently like anything they vaguely remember
as being food, cats will try to eat it. Eventually, this boils
down to absolutely everything within a five mile radius of the
house.
--
Sabremeister Brian :-)
Use b dot wakeling at virgin dot net to reply
I don't want introspection, I want a bloody car!
Sofia
2005-06-17 22:52:07 UTC
Post by Brian Wakeling
Post by Clare
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
If it looks sufficiently like anything they vaguely remember
as being food, cats will try to eat it. Eventually, this boils
down to absolutely everything within a five mile radius of the
house.
I'd agree with this! Hubby's cat, Tibby, had this craving for all the
neighbours pets, (rabbits, hamsters, hedgehogs, and most small birds in
the area). All I ever remember my little mongrel destroying though, was my
teddy bears when he and hubby used to play tug-of-war with them.

I suggest in this case, you should either get yourself a scratching post
for your cats to play with - or substitute them for a dog.

Sofie
Werehatrack
2005-06-24 01:35:03 UTC
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:45:12 +0100, "Brian Wakeling"
Post by Brian Wakeling
If it looks sufficiently like anything they vaguely remember
as being food, cats will try to eat it. Eventually, this boils
down to absolutely everything within a five mile radius of the
house.
With the possible exception of an opossum and, under certain
circumstances, an abandoned Yugo[1].

[1] There is, of course, essentially no other kind of Yugo at this
point, so the adjective may be superfluous.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
2005-06-25 16:46:09 UTC
On Friday, in article
Post by Werehatrack
With the possible exception of an opossum and, under certain
circumstances, an abandoned Yugo[1].
[1] There is, of course, essentially no other kind of Yugo at this
point, so the adjective may be superfluous.
I must concur that I've not seen any Yugos on the road for years now. At
one time (early-to-mid-1980s) this car achieved the dubious distinction
of 50% depreciation in the first year from new. One could tell how dodgy
they were: the Arfur Dalys of this world usually operate in the second-
hand car market, but some of them set up operations to sell these "cars"
new as well.
--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly} ***@dsl.co.uk
"Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu
Blaise Pascal, /Lettres Provinciales/, 1657
Ross
2005-06-26 01:33:17 UTC
Post by Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
On Friday, in article
Post by Werehatrack
With the possible exception of an opossum and, under certain
circumstances, an abandoned Yugo[1].
[1] There is, of course, essentially no other kind of Yugo at this
point, so the adjective may be superfluous.
I must concur that I've not seen any Yugos on the road for years now.
Oh, Gods. Yugos. The cars designed for people who thought Ladas were
much too posh and far too expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if they
were looked down on by Trabant owners, too; at least Trabbies would
go, even if they were made of cardboard.
Post by Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
one time (early-to-mid-1980s) this car achieved the dubious distinction
of 50% depreciation in the first year from new.
That little? You do surprise me. I didn't think they lasted that long!
--
Ross, in Lincoln
Reply-to address will bounce; replace "junk-trap" with "me" for e-mail
Arthur Hagen
2005-06-26 02:21:32 UTC
Post by Ross
Oh, Gods. Yugos. The cars designed for people who thought Ladas were
much too posh and far too expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if they
were looked down on by Trabant owners, too; at least Trabbies would
go, even if they were made of cardboard.
The Yugo isn't that bad -- it's the improved *export* model of the
Zastava Fiat 128.

If you were really poor but needed a car, it's more likely that you'd go
for brands like Moskwitz, Skoda, DAF or Vespa.

Regards,
*Art
mcv
2005-06-17 09:07:02 UTC
Post by Clare
However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them has. I don't
know which because it happened while I was out, but someone feline has
been eating the cotton ends - plastic and all - off some cotton buds!
Needless to say I was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds
out of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.

mcv.
Clare
2005-06-17 16:10:01 UTC
Post by mcv
Post by Clare
However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them has. I don't
know which because it happened while I was out, but someone feline has
been eating the cotton ends - plastic and all - off some cotton buds!
Needless to say I was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds
out of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.
We've already had this - the used foil wrappers from Whiskas cat food
have been removed from the dustbin and shredded. Not even the idea of
the flavour has been left on them! Also a container that at one time
had chicken in it was stolen from the bin in the same raid and stored
behind some seed compost until four this morning - when it was brought
out for further excited attention.

In the ensuing ruck, both cats wound themselves up to fever pitch,
starting fights and breaking a bowl. That woke me up, and I had to
separate them using the front room and the stairs. Esme spent about 90
minutes scratching the door and yowling. Needless to say I didn't get
any more sleep... They were best mates again this morning at
breakfast!

Tonight I am taking them outside for the first time. I think last
night was down to cabin fever, and I need sleep! Hopefully we can have
a meaningful discussion about road safety and the bonus of coming home
when I shout "Treat". This is already a winner, although Mustrum gets
a bit giddy around anything vaguely food related. :-)
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
2005-06-17 23:37:44 UTC
On 17 Jun, in article
Post by Clare
In the ensuing ruck, both cats wound themselves up to fever pitch,
starting fights and breaking a bowl. That woke me up, and I had to
separate them using the front room and the stairs.
A high-pressure cold-water hose is far more efficient means of effecting
separation.
PDoc
2005-06-19 22:07:33 UTC
Post by Clare
In the ensuing ruck, both cats wound themselves up to fever pitch,
starting fights and breaking a bowl. That woke me up, and I had to
separate them using the front room and the stairs.
A high-pressure cold-water hose is far more efficient means of
effecting separation.
But throwing the whole front room, along with the stairs too, is a display
worthy of "Shock and Awe". That'll teach 'em. And if it dosn't, you still
got the loft, kitchen, and the loo as a last resort.
--
PDoc
Alchemist at large, no accidents in the lab since March...
http://www.cohesic.co.uk/blog/
Clare
2005-06-24 16:26:51 UTC
Post by Clare
In the ensuing ruck, both cats wound themselves up to fever pitch,
starting fights and breaking a bowl. That woke me up, and I had to
separate them using the front room and the stairs.
A high-pressure cold-water hose is far more efficient means of
effecting separation.
But throwing the whole front room, along with the stairs too, is a display
worthy of "Shock and Awe". That'll teach 'em. And if it dosn't, you still
got the loft, kitchen, and the loo as a last resort.
I think I'll save them for a special occasion! <GRIN>

A week on, they are both allowed out, which has significantly reduced
the feline cabin fever quotient. Mustrum is the chief expedition
leader. Esme gets to the gate, panics and then goes back in to sit
behind the cat-flap anxiously waiting for Mustrum. Sometimes she sits
so close to it he has to squeeze through lop-sided. Great fun to
watch!

Last Sunday he brought home some cooked chicken - I told him it would
have been more believable [that he had hunted it down] if it had been
raw. Then last night he brought in a song-thrush - dead, of course,
and a real shame because they are rare and I like birds that eat slugs
and snails. I had to bury it in the back yard, next to the one and
only mouse my old cat ever managed to catch!

So tonight I'm buying Mustrum a collar and bell. There will be no
apologies or replies to anyone who thinks this is cruel! The collar
will be safely adjusted and suitably smart for a wizard, and he will
still get to chase things. He doesn't need the extra food, and the
local bird population needs all the help it can get.
Paul E. Jamison
2005-06-25 00:38:03 UTC
"Clare" <***@medphysics.leeds.ac.uk> wrote in message news:***@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
[snipperage]
Post by Clare
So tonight I'm buying Mustrum a collar and bell. There will be no
apologies or replies to anyone who thinks this is cruel! The collar
will be safely adjusted and suitably smart for a wizard, and he will
still get to chase things. He doesn't need the extra food, and the
local bird population needs all the help it can get.
No flames, but I'd suggest a breakaway collar, in case Mustrum catches it on
something - say, a bit of shrubbery - he won't choke himself to death in the
inevitable fit of panic. Of course, he may learn to remove it on purpose,
but at least he'll still be alive to look smug about it.

Paul
--
"Who reads, learns, lives the Ferret Way becomes keeper
of light, ennobling outer worlds from one within."
- a prophecy from the Ancients
Werehatrack
2005-06-24 01:36:34 UTC
Post by mcv
Post by Clare
However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them has. I don't
know which because it happened while I was out, but someone feline has
been eating the cotton ends - plastic and all - off some cotton buds!
Needless to say I was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds
out of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.
Ours chew on the ends of the rolls of packing tape in the dispensers
that I use when shipping things off.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Midgardette
2005-06-25 03:58:53 UTC
Post by Werehatrack
Post by mcv
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.
Ours chew on the ends of the rolls of packing tape in the dispensers
that I use when shipping things off.
You're lucky. Our two Siamese darlings open drawers and carry off rolled
socks. I think it reminds them of kittens. The socks end up all over...with
holes chewed in them of course. Oh, and only the black dress socks not the
white sports ones. You have to have standards.
mcv
2005-06-27 14:13:04 UTC
Post by Midgardette
Post by Werehatrack
Post by mcv
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.
Ours chew on the ends of the rolls of packing tape in the dispensers
that I use when shipping things off.
You're lucky. Our two Siamese darlings open drawers and carry off rolled
socks. I think it reminds them of kittens. The socks end up all over...with
holes chewed in them of course. Oh, and only the black dress socks not the
white sports ones. You have to have standards.
My cat is a bit more civilised than that. He likes to drink tea.
From a teapot. (Cold, though.) Water, on the other hand, he prefers
directly from the tap. I suspect he wants to look like me.

mcv.
Midgardette
2005-06-28 02:08:53 UTC
Post by mcv
Post by Midgardette
Post by Werehatrack
Post by mcv
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.
Ours chew on the ends of the rolls of packing tape in the dispensers
that I use when shipping things off.
You're lucky. Our two Siamese darlings open drawers and carry off rolled
socks. I think it reminds them of kittens. The socks end up all over...with
holes chewed in them of course. Oh, and only the black dress socks not the
white sports ones. You have to have standards.
My cat is a bit more civilised than that. He likes to drink tea.
From a teapot. (Cold, though.) Water, on the other hand, he prefers
directly from the tap. I suspect he wants to look like me.
mcv.
Wouldn't it be more civilized to teach him to use a teacup (with extended
pinkie of course)? Any old moggie can use a saucer but a china cup says so
much more about one's deportment. Remember Teach's admonitions?

Midgardette
mcv
2005-06-28 13:48:07 UTC
Post by Midgardette
Post by mcv
Post by Midgardette
Post by Werehatrack
Post by mcv
Bits of plastic bags are a popular snack around here. Especially if it's
a kind of plastic that makes noise when you touch it.
Ours chew on the ends of the rolls of packing tape in the dispensers
that I use when shipping things off.
You're lucky. Our two Siamese darlings open drawers and carry off rolled
socks. I think it reminds them of kittens. The socks end up all over...with
holes chewed in them of course. Oh, and only the black dress socks not the
white sports ones. You have to have standards.
My cat is a bit more civilised than that. He likes to drink tea.
From a teapot. (Cold, though.) Water, on the other hand, he prefers
directly from the tap. I suspect he wants to look like me.
Wouldn't it be more civilized to teach him to use a teacup (with extended
pinkie of course)? Any old moggie can use a saucer but a china cup says so
much more about one's deportment. Remember Teach's admonitions?
He only drinks from saucers if he's really thirsty or if it's milk.
In the past I've also given him water in a glass to get him to drink
the stuff.

I'll see if I have a tea cup somewhere (I always drink from a mug),
although I'd still have to pour it for him. And actually the tea is
meant for me, not him. The problem is that sometimes I don't finish
a pot completely, and as soon as I'm doing something else, he starts
spooning the tea up with his paw.

mcv.

Werehatrack
2005-06-24 01:32:21 UTC
Post by Clare
However, I have noticed a worrying habit that one of them has. I don't
know which because it happened while I was out, but someone feline has
been eating the cotton ends - plastic and all - off some cotton buds!
Needless to say I was concerned for a while and removed the cotton buds
out of feline reach, but so far no ill effects have presented
themselves....
Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
It's not unusual. Before we banned the cats from the bedroom half of
the house, raids on the supplies of odd small items were frequent, and
the item you mentioned was frequently a target of the activities.
More than once, a trail of them was found scattered across the floor
in the hall, some clearly gnawed, and others just batted about until
thoroughly coated with dust and cat hair.

Sleeping (and such) is much more placid now, with the connecting door
kept shut.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.