[I] A rather tender subject.
Gideon Hallett
2003-08-18 10:16:57 UTC
During the morning's general webcrawl, I came across this:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/siamang/43717.html

Now, this entire thing looks like a hoax designed to provoke and
disturb. Certainly the language seems a bit faux (rainbow bridge!
aaargh!); and anyone who named their bunny Grendel possibly has
an evil sense of humour. And posting it in a public place does
seem knowingly provocative[1].

However, commenting on this unleashed the (highly predictable)
storm of outraged responses and invective from the
anthropomorphists and the hard-of-thinking:

"...If you really cut up your dead rabbit and cooked it up that's
just REPULSIVE"

And so forth.

Why?

The taboo against eating people (as mentioned elsewhere by
someone else) is, apart from all else, a taboo against eating
souls. According to Christian doctrine (a lot of the Outraged
seem to talk freely about the author burning in hell), animals
don't have them.

As such, making a parallel between eating an ex-pet and eating a
relative is blasphemy if you're a Christian; you are refusing to
eat a pet on the grounds that they are like a human to you.

As someone who grew up in a fairly rural area, I would have
absolutely no problem about eating Flossie, Bambi or Thumper,
even if I helped bring them up[2].

What puzzles me slightly is the giant double standard of people
who insist on their rights to eat <insert flesh here>, but then
castigate someone as being vile for, well, eating dead rabbit.

People are strange. City people doubly so.

Gideon.

[1] "I wanted to see how many reactionary idiots I could piss
off, so I made up a story about eating one of my pets. I bought a
rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, stuck it on a plate,
and hilarity ensued. Grendel and Sunday are both still alive and
well, and I had a good laugh at the morons who came out of the
woodwork to get indignant. I wouldn't actually eat a pet, that's
pretty fucking sick. Still, I've gotten enough laughs to last me
weeks."[3]

[2] Since I will only eat meat if I am served it by a host and if
I know that it has been ethically sourced and treated, and then
only in moderation, this isn't a big concern for me.

[3] I have to say I think this is something of a cop-out by the
author; I really don't see any problems with eating a pet after
death, as long as said ex-pet is something generally understood
to be a food animal. If said pet snuffed it of old age, it'd
probably be pretty stringy, though.
--
(((( | ====***@freeuk.com.=========================|
o__))))) | - Bringing permed '70s-retro hedgehogs to the =|
__ \'((((( | common people since he got bored one afternoon. =|
Jenny Delaney
2003-08-18 10:24:13 UTC
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:16:57 +0000 (UTC), Gideon Hallett
Post by Gideon Hallett
http://www.livejournal.com/users/siamang/43717.html
Ah, you finally came across that one. I gave up after the tenth
"you're sick" comment.

<snip>
Post by Gideon Hallett
[3] I have to say I think this is something of a cop-out by the
author; I really don't see any problems with eating a pet after
death, as long as said ex-pet is something generally understood
to be a food animal. If said pet snuffed it of old age, it'd
probably be pretty stringy, though.
Larry. Larry was delicious. As was Skippy. And lots of the other
little cute lambs that bounced around me as a child. It's well known
that pet lambs taste the best because of the way they've been
raised.[1]

Jenny

[1] It's a less well-known fact that pet lambs will take every
opportunity to piss down your shirt when you're bottle-feeding them.
Andy Davison
2003-08-18 10:49:26 UTC
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:16:57 +0000, Gideon Hallett wrote in message
Post by Gideon Hallett
http://www.livejournal.com/users/siamang/43717.html
Now, this entire thing looks like a hoax designed to provoke and
disturb. Certainly the language seems a bit faux (rainbow bridge!
aaargh!); and anyone who named their bunny Grendel possibly has
an evil sense of humour. And posting it in a public place does
seem knowingly provocative[1].
I take it you've visited http://www.petsorfood.com/ already. Definitely a
hoax designed to provoke. Some of the 'testimonials' are rather good :)
--
Andy Davison
***@oiyou.force9.co.uk
Melody S-K
2003-08-18 10:51:03 UTC
Post by Gideon Hallett
http://www.livejournal.com/users/siamang/43717.html
Snippage

I did a link to this in my LJ on the 7th of August. The whole thread
had made it to LJ Drama :)

Have to just add that Rainbow Bridge is a well used term with
pet lovers everywhere and is based on a 'poem' by the
same name ..

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that
pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our
special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food
and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All
the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they
miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly
stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager
body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying
over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU
have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The
happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the
beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of
your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.......

Melody
David Chapman
2003-08-18 11:26:06 UTC
Post by Melody S-K
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly
stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the
eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group,
flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
YOU
have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The
happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the
beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of
your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
My sister's going to be *buried* in hamsters when she dies...
--
I believe in animal testing.
<thud>
That's a cat.
Jon
So's mine. Including a number she never knew were dead .....
Gideon Hallett
2003-08-18 11:38:27 UTC
Post by Melody S-K
Post by Gideon Hallett
http://www.livejournal.com/users/siamang/43717.html
Snippage
I did a link to this in my LJ on the 7th of August. The whole
thread had made it to LJ Drama :)
<snip>

Usage of that text constitutes a crime against humanity of
exceptional gravity.
Post by Melody S-K
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...
And pass under the golden arches marked McSoylent Industries Inc.

Gideon.

(What the hell, we're all ultimately wormfood.)
Melody S-K

Melody
Mark Datko
2003-08-18 16:35:59 UTC
Melody S-K wrote:

<snippage>
Post by Melody S-K
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.......
I wrote the following short poem whilst watching the traffic go by
outside the 2002 convention :

Eddie Stobart on the road
Shifting every kind of load
Squashing hedgehog
Squashing toad
Eddie Stobart on the road

Think I need to add a verse about rabbits in headlights ...

hippo
http://www.3dhippo.org.uk
Graycat
2003-08-18 11:01:22 UTC
Post by Gideon Hallett
"...If you really cut up your dead rabbit and cooked it up that's
just REPULSIVE"
And so forth.
Why?
Very good question. To some people though, it's apparently not just
pet bunnies, but _all_ bunnies that are off-limits because of being
cute and fluffy. I was in Greece on a class trip (grade 9, we were 15)
and at a restaurant a friend and I decided to have rabbit stew. All
the other girls (well, not all, not our close friends) promptly
decided that we were utter barbarians and looked evilly at us for the
rest of the evening. Of course, we couldn't resist singing bunny-songs
and talking about just how cute and fluffy they had been in life -
they were acting silly, so we thought it only right to mock...
Post by Gideon Hallett
As someone who grew up in a fairly rural area, I would have
absolutely no problem about eating Flossie, Bambi or Thumper,
even if I helped bring them up[2].
Me either, and I'm not even a country girl :o) One summer mother
raised three pigs, half of one which we later ate. They belonged to a
farmer and were raised for food, we got these three as a loan because
mum wanted to raise pigs for a summer. We had named them, played with
them (football mostly) and generally hung out with them, but it never
bothered me. Lots of people I've talked to afterwards seem to think
that it should have... Always good for provoking a "yuk" and a funny
look that story.
Post by Gideon Hallett
What puzzles me slightly is the giant double standard of people
who insist on their rights to eat <insert flesh here>, but then
castigate someone as being vile for, well, eating dead rabbit.
It's usually not seen as a good idea to eat things that have died by
themselves, rather than been killed for eating. For health and quality
reasons. Other than that, at least I'm consistent in my opinions on
meet.
Post by Gideon Hallett
People are strange. City people doubly so.
:o)
--
Elin
The Tale of Westala and Villtin

From adress valid, but rarely checked. Use Reply-To to contact me
Torak
I like rabbit. I also make a rather good duck fried rice...
X Kyle M Thompson
2003-08-18 15:24:47 UTC
Post by Torak
I like rabbit. I also make a rather good duck fried rice...
IRTA "I like rabbit. It makes a rather good duck fried rice" Which confused
me, and then reminded me of Red Dwarf's "I'm going to get a sheep and a cow
and raise horses"

kt.
.sig is in the post
Torak
Yes, my stage name is Dr Moreau.
Jenny Delaney
2003-08-18 15:00:32 UTC
Post by Gideon Hallett
"...If you really cut up your dead rabbit and cooked it up that's
just REPULSIVE"
And so forth.
Why?
Very good question. To some people though, it's apparently not just
pet bunnies, but _all_ bunnies that are off-limits because of being
cute and fluffy. I was in Greece on a class trip (grade 9, we were 15)
and at a restaurant a friend and I decided to have rabbit stew. All
the other girls (well, not all, not our close friends) promptly
decided that we were utter barbarians and looked evilly at us for the
rest of the evening. Of course, we couldn't resist singing bunny-songs
and talking about just how cute and fluffy they had been in life -
they were acting silly, so we thought it only right to mock...
I used to horrify people at a previous job. The canteen regularly did
venison burgers. I *like* venison. My comment (rather loud, since
there's no point in saying these things sotto voce) first time I saw
them was "Oh good, bambi burgers".

Jenny
Gid Holyoake
2003-08-18 14:04:20 UTC
In article <***@195.200.1.58>, Gideon Hallett
generously decided to share with us..

Snippetry..
Post by Gideon Hallett
[3] I have to say I think this is something of a cop-out by the
author; I really don't see any problems with eating a pet after
death, as long as said ex-pet is something generally understood
to be a food animal. If said pet snuffed it of old age, it'd
probably be pretty stringy, though.
Why wait till it's dead?..

Gid (cue the pig with a wooden leg joke)
Guitar Huw
2003-08-18 14:05:30 UTC
Post by Gideon Hallett
[3] I have to say I think this is something of a cop-out by the
author; I really don't see any problems with eating a pet after
death, as long as said ex-pet is something generally understood
to be a food animal. If said pet snuffed it of old age, it'd
probably be pretty stringy, though.
Why wait till it's dead?..
Gid (cue the pig with a wooden leg joke)
A joke like that, you couldn't tell all at once? ;)
--
Huw

"a honey-covered cowpat is still a load of shit."
Richard Bos summarises telesales on a.f.p
Cyclops
2003-08-18 17:35:19 UTC
Post by Gideon Hallett
[3] I have to say I think this is something of a cop-out by the
author; I really don't see any problems with eating a pet after
death, as long as said ex-pet is something generally understood
to be a food animal. If said pet snuffed it of old age, it'd
probably be pretty stringy, though.
Why wait till it's dead?..
Gid (cue the pig with a wooden leg joke)
This reminds me of a sketch show called "Who Dares Wins" [1] which had one
sketch set in a pub where a bloke was walking round with a piglet under
one arm and a cheese grater in his other hand asking if anyone wanted pork
scratchings.

[1] From the days when Jimmy Mulville Rory McGrath were still on speaking
terms.
--
Cyclops
Evil Heretic Infiltrator
CCA
2003-08-18 16:00:32 UTC
Reminds me (yes, I'm about to admit to having watched a Buffy episode, but
"Look at them all walking around there.... like Happy Meals on legs."
Or Angelus, in a flashback on Angel. "Convents -- they're like one big cookie
jar..."[1]
CCA:)
Family Bites Website at www.falboroughhall.co.uk
CCA
2003-08-18 16:05:40 UTC
Jenny Delaney wrote

(snip)
That, and the girl who thought my parents were dead because I didn't
have a culchie accent and I lived with my aunt, so I obviously
couldn't be from the bogs...
In my first job, I used to get the opposite from people from the other side of
town who had never heard of my village. It was like
Them: "Where do you live?"
Me <names small-ish country village>
Them "Do they have a branch of Next there?"
CCA:)
Family Bites Website at www.falboroughhall.co.uk
Alec Cawley
2003-08-18 18:17:56 UTC