[I] The Lyrics Quiz
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-29 23:54:01 UTC
As threatened.

The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.

They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.

The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.

Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know! (and
don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))

50s:

1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
3. "Well Adam told Eve, "You listen here to me...""
4. "I met her on the mountain"
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"

60s:

1. "Just the way that you say 'Goodnight' to me"
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
3. "On a street-car or in the café"
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
8. "High above, the dawn is waking"
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
12. "You walked behind me, following closely"
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
14. "In the room where you've been sleeping, all your clothes are thrown
about"
15. "So I lay upon my side with all the windows open wide"
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
17. "I know I need a small vacation"
18. "Sweeping cobwebs from the edges of my mind"
19. "He's never near you to comfort and cheer you"
20. "Stepping from cloud to cloud, passing years of light"

70s:

1. "When you're down and out, when you're on the street"
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
9. "Girl you cause me so much pain and sorrow"
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
11. "When salmon spawn"
12. "The hours that were yours echo like empty rooms"
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
14. "You only came for a smile"
15. "To keep in silence I resigned"
16. "The doctors are avoiding me, my vision is confused"
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
18. "I can't see much of a future"
19. "With the dark, oh I see so very clearly now"
20. "The plane is on the move"
21. "I'm gonna call her on the telephone"
22. "Sing it in the subway"
23. "I said now watch what you say"
24. "Now the light fades out"
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"

80s:

1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
2. "A puppet's motion controlled by a string"
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
4. "Why is the bedroom so cold?"
5. "On a silent summer evening, the sky's alive with light"
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
7. "Our so-called leaders speak"
8. "So I lay down in the darkness with the beer and coffee stains"
9. "Princes stand in queues, they stand accused"
10. "Watching your friends passing by"
11. "By order of the Prophet"
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take me to Task""
14. "Easier said that done, you said"
15. "Wonder what's cooking at the house tonight"
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
17. "You hear the door slam"
18. "I'm looking for reasons - day in, day out"
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"
21. "There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway"
22. "Baby, I think tonight we can take what was wrong and make it right"
23. "You could have a big dipper"
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
25. "I spy tears in their eyes"

90s:

1. "We plied an ancient trade where we threw all life's instructions away"
2. "Well the years they passed so slowly, I thought about him every day"
3. "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld"
4. "I'd work very hard, but I'm lazy"
5. "And singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema aisles"
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Larry
2011-12-30 00:27:39 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know! (and
don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
All but one
seven out of twenty? and
- a total blank!

Ain't got no culture - when you say Dylan he thinks you mean 'Dylan
Thomas', whoever he was.
GaryN
2011-12-31 02:30:28 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know!
(and don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
All but one
seven out of twenty? and
- a total blank!
Ain't got no culture - when you say Dylan he thinks you mean 'Dylan
Thomas', whoever he was.
Or Dylan from "The Magic Roundabout"
--
"Your Reputation is what people know about you.
Your Honour is what you know about yourself"

Lois McMaster Bujold.
Larry Moore
2012-01-05 11:31:35 UTC
Post by GaryN
Or Dylan from "The Magic Roundabout"
It is curious how the first association with a word resists having another
added. I've *driven* roundabouts, proper white-knuckled British roundabouts,
but that can't supplant the story "Roundabouts and Swings" which I read
when I was ten. There was a brief dissonance when the You-tube video
started.
--
For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to every
one that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not.
John Maynard Keynes
Brian Howlett
2011-12-30 01:45:46 UTC
On 29 Dec, Nigel Stapley wrote:

I'm going to show my ignorance - I can only answer these...
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
Buddy Holly, "It Doesn't Matter Any More"

[snip]
[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
The Shangri-Las, "Leader of The Pack"
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
Petula Clark, "Downtown"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
The Four Tops, "Reach Out I'll Be There"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
Desmond Dekker & The Aces, "Israelites"
Post by Nigel Stapley
17. "I know I need a small vacation"
Glenn Campbell, "Wichita Lineman"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "When you're down and out, when you're on the street"
Simon & Garfunkel, "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
Abba, "Dancing Queen"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"
Buggles, "Video Killed The radio Star"
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
Peter Gabriel, "Games Without Frontiers"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "So I lay down in the darkness with the beer and coffee stains"
Godley & Creme, "Under Your Thumb"

[snip]
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "You could have a big dipper"
Peter Gabriel, "Sledgehammer"

[snip]
Not a sausage...
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
"A man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun"
- Don Henley
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 06:34:59 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "You could have a big dipper"
Peter Gabriel, "Sledgehammer"
[snip]
Not a sausage...
Yep, all of those.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Sabremeister Brian
2011-12-30 12:10:12 UTC
<snip>
Post by Brian Howlett
Post by Nigel Stapley
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"
Buggles, "Video Killed The radio Star"
Argh! I hsould have recognised that one too!
--
www.sabremeister.me.uk
www.livejournal.com/users/sabremeister/
Now available at http://stores.lulu.com/brian1173 and amazon.com
John S. Wilkins
2011-12-30 03:28:21 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "By order of the Prophet"
Obviously Rock the Kasbah by The Clash
--
John S. Wilkins, Associate, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net
Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 06:35:10 UTC
Post by John S. Wilkins
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "By order of the Prophet"
Obviously Rock the Kasbah by The Clash
Yup.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Andrew Brydon
2011-12-30 06:02:05 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
Orinoco Flow, by Enya

(plus "Bridge over troubled water" - score = 2. Oh dear.)
--
Andrew Brydon
Life is just the beta-version of death
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 06:35:37 UTC
Post by Andrew Brydon
Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
Orinoco Flow, by Enya
(plus "Bridge over troubled water" - score = 2. Oh dear.)
Don't worry - this was never intended to be easy.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Lesley Weston
2011-12-30 15:17:34 UTC
Post by Andrew Brydon
Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
Orinoco Flow, by Enya
(plus "Bridge over troubled water" - score = 2. Oh dear.)
Better than mine. I didn't get any, not one solitary one from any
decade. I never was much good at lyrics.

Lesley.
This address is real, but to reach me use leswes att shaw dott ca
Lizzy Taylor
Mr Blue Sky, ELO
Nigel Stapley

<reply-to will bounce>
ppint. at pplay
2011-12-30 06:34:11 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know!
(and don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
3. "Well Adam told Eve, "You listen here to me...""
4. "I met her on the mountain"
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
- "sun arise" - rolf harris ? (i thought that was a 60s single)
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Just the way that you say 'Goodnight' to me"
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
- "monster mash" by bobby "boris" pickett and the crypt-kickers
(reissued and charted again in the 70s)
Post by Nigel Stapley
3. "On a street-car or in the café"
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
- "starman (ziggy [stardust] [played guitar])" by david bowie
(and the spiders from mars) ?
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
- "the leader of the pack" - the shangri-las
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
- "downtown" - petula clark (written by jackie trent & tony hatch ?)
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
- "walk on by" - dionne warwick ??
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "High above, the dawn is waking"
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
- "happy together" - the turtles (written by boyce & hart ?)
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
- "bridge over troubled water" - simon and garfunkel ?
(wasn't this 70s?)

- "pied piper" - crispian st. peters ??
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
- "the sun ain't gonna shine (anymore)" - the walker brothers
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "You walked behind me, following closely"
- "if i were a carpenter" - tim hardin, songwriter, minor hit;
chart-top version: the four tops (and later rod stewart)
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
14. "In the room where you've been sleeping, all your clothes are thrown about"
- "paper sun" by traffic
(written by steve winwood, jim capaldi, chris wright, dave mason)
Post by Nigel Stapley
15. "So I lay upon my side with all the windows open wide"
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
17. "I know I need a small vacation"
- "wichita lineman" - glen "ex-beach boy" campbell
Post by Nigel Stapley
18. "Sweeping cobwebs from the edges of my mind"
- either "autumn almanack" - the kinks (ray davies) ? (70s?)
or, and i'll plump for:

- "the windmills of your mind" - noel harrison
(theme from the thomas crown affair)
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "He's never near you to comfort and cheer you"
- possibly "i want to see you kiss him goodbye" - steam ??
Post by Nigel Stapley
20. "Stepping from cloud to cloud, passing years of light"
- "rainbow chaser" - nirvana (the real group of that name) ?
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
- was the single track "harvest" - neil young
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
- possibly "i heard it on the grapevine" - gladys knight & the pips,
then marvin gaye; both hits
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
- could this be "handbags and gladrags" - 60s for chris farlowe,
70s for rod stewart ?

- then this ppint. crashes and burns; i may well've heard some
of the later singles excerpted, but i don't know them that well,
certainly not to recognise and/or quote further lyrics.

- thanks for the quiz, nigel;

- love, ppint.

[drop the "v", and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
"I fancied Donny Osmond at that age, but I wouldn't _marry_ him !"
^ - helen highwater, bristol 2.0, 23:30 bst
[spelling corr. by joyg] (22:30 gmt) 25/5/97 (5/25/97 for merkins)
Sabremeister Brian
2011-12-30 12:12:43 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
- "monster mash" by bobby "boris" pickett and the crypt-kickers
(reissued and charted again in the 70s)
*headdesk*
You'd think, that after the T&J at DWCon06, I'd remember that...
--
www.sabremeister.me.uk
www.livejournal.com/users/sabremeister/
Use brian at sabremeister dot me dot uk to reply
You know you've been off Usenet too long when you start saying
things like "as far as I can tell", instead of
"ay-eff-ay-eye-see-tee".
- Me, April 2004
CCA
2012-01-01 22:18:56 UTC
On Dec 30 2011, 12:12 pm, "Sabremeister Brian"
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
- "monster mash" by bobby "boris" pickett and the crypt-kickers
                         (reissued and charted again in the 70s)
*headdesk*
You'd think, that after the T&J at DWCon06, I'd remember that...
Heh, yes! I remember how you sauntered up to the mike, put in the
'Transylvanian Tvist" bit, and sauntered off again... :-)

CCA
Brian Howlett
2011-12-30 15:04:59 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
- could this be "handbags and gladrags" - 60s for chris farlowe,
70s for rod stewart ?
Missed it on my list - its Ace, "How Long (Has This Been Going On)".
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
People who live in glass houses should undress in the dark...
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 15:36:26 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
- could this be "handbags and gladrags" - 60s for chris farlowe,
70s for rod stewart ?
Missed it on my list - its Ace, "How Long (Has This Been Going On)".
Correct.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 15:35:57 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know!
(and don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
3. "Well Adam told Eve, "You listen here to me...""
4. "I met her on the mountain"
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
- "sun arise" - rolf harris ? (i thought that was a 60s single)
Nope. Wrong continent, wrong gender (as far as the most famous recording
of it is concerned)
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Just the way that you say 'Goodnight' to me"
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
- "monster mash" by bobby "boris" pickett and the crypt-kickers
(reissued and charted again in the 70s)
Tick.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
3. "On a street-car or in the café"
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
- "starman (ziggy [stardust] [played guitar])" by david bowie
(and the spiders from mars) ?
Nope. Wrong decade and continent.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
- "downtown" - petula clark (written by jackie trent & tony hatch ?)
Tick (correct on the composers, too)
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
- "walk on by" - dionne warwick ??
Tick (one of the perfect singles, that one: the song, the performer, the
arrangement and the production).
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "High above, the dawn is waking"
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
- "happy together" - the turtles (written by boyce & hart ?)
Tick (but written by Bonner & Gordon).
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
- "bridge over troubled water" - simon and garfunkel ?
(wasn't this 70s?)
- "pied piper" - crispian st. peters ??
No. More uptempo than either.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "You walked behind me, following closely"
- "if i were a carpenter" - tim hardin, songwriter, minor hit;
chart-top version: the four tops (and later rod stewart)
No. Again, more uptempo and British.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
14. "In the room where you've been sleeping, all your clothes are thrown about"
- "paper sun" by traffic
(written by steve winwood, jim capaldi, chris wright, dave mason)
Tick (and that was one I thought no-one would get).
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
18. "Sweeping cobwebs from the edges of my mind"
- either "autumn almanack" - the kinks (ray davies) ? (70s?)
- "the windmills of your mind" - noel harrison
(theme from the thomas crown affair)
No. Far more hippy than either.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "He's never near you to comfort and cheer you"
- possibly "i want to see you kiss him goodbye" - steam ??
Well, that's not *quite* the title, but yes it's *that* one.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
20. "Stepping from cloud to cloud, passing years of light"
- "rainbow chaser" - nirvana (the real group of that name) ?
No, but I can see why you chose that one (I could have put "Rainbow
Chaser" in here, but didn't).

This one gained its hit status after being used as the theme for a TV
drama series.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
- was the single track "harvest" - neil young
Right writer, wrong song.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
- possibly "i heard it on the grapevine" - gladys knight & the pips,
then marvin gaye; both hits
No. More metallic (and Mormon).
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
- could this be "handbags and gladrags" - 60s for chris farlowe,
70s for rod stewart ?
No. UK soul, though.
Post by ppint. at pplay
- then this ppint. crashes and burns; i may well've heard some
of the later singles excerpted, but i don't know them that well,
certainly not to recognise and/or quote further lyrics.
It's OK. I only got them all right because I set them :0)
Post by ppint. at pplay
- thanks for the quiz, nigel;
You're very welcome.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Diane L.
2011-12-30 10:05:32 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my singles collection
dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know! (and don't make that
gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
Smoke gets in your eyes - don't know who sang it
Post by Nigel Stapley
3. "Well Adam told Eve, "You listen here to me...""
4. "I met her on the mountain"
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
Fever - don't know who sang it
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Just the way that you say 'Goodnight' to me"
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
3. "On a street-car or in the café"
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
Leader of the pack - I'm sensing a pattern here (some girl band)
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
Downtown - ooh! I know this one! Pet Clarke.
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
8. "High above, the dawn is waking"
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
Happy together - no, back to the pattern
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
The Sun ain't gonna shine anymore - erm...
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "You walked behind me, following closely"
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
14. "In the room where you've been sleeping, all your clothes are thrown about"
15. "So I lay upon my side with all the windows open wide"
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
17. "I know I need a small vacation"
Wichita lineman - Glenn Campbell?
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
After the goldrush - Bobby something
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
9. "Girl you cause me so much pain and sorrow"
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
Angie baby, no idea who sang it.
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "When salmon spawn"
12. "The hours that were yours echo like empty rooms"
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
Dancing queen - Abba (even I can remember Abba)
Post by Nigel Stapley
14. "You only came for a smile"
15. "To keep in silence I resigned"
16. "The doctors are avoiding me, my vision is confused"
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
18. "I can't see much of a future"
19. "With the dark, oh I see so very clearly now"
20. "The plane is on the move"
21. "I'm gonna call her on the telephone"
22. "Sing it in the subway"
23. "I said now watch what you say"
24. "Now the light fades out"
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"
Video killed the radio star - Buggles
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
Games without frontiers - Peter Gabriel
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "A puppet's motion controlled by a string"
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
Ashes to ashes - David Bowie
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "Why is the bedroom so cold?"
5. "On a silent summer evening, the sky's alive with light"
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
7. "Our so-called leaders speak"
In an amazing development, I know it's The Police, but I can't
remember the title.
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "So I lay down in the darkness with the beer and coffee stains"
Undre your thumb - Godley and Creme
Post by Nigel Stapley
9. "Princes stand in queues, they stand accused"
10. "Watching your friends passing by"
11. "By order of the Prophet"
Rock the Casbah - the Clash
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take me to Task""
Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
Post by Nigel Stapley
14. "Easier said that done, you said"
15. "Wonder what's cooking at the house tonight"
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
17. "You hear the door slam"
18. "I'm looking for reasons - day in, day out"
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"
21. "There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway"
22. "Baby, I think tonight we can take what was wrong and make it right"
23. "You could have a big dipper"
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel again.
Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
25. "I spy tears in their eyes"
1. "We plied an ancient trade where we threw all life's instructions away"
2. "Well the years they passed so slowly, I thought about him every day"
3. "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld"
4. "I'd work very hard, but I'm lazy"
5. "And singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema aisles"
Blimey, I'm rubbish at this!

Diane L.
ppint. at pplay
2011-12-30 14:46:22 UTC
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
Smoke gets in your eyes - don't know who sang it
- the platters;
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
Fever - don't know who sang it
- "(you give me) fever" ? - i know it from the versions that
the mccoys recorded for bert berns' bang record label - it was
released as a follow-up to "hang on sloopy", a 60s hit in the
uk for andrew loog oldham's immediate records; a show song that
was a hit for a woman jazz-singer, first time around, perhaps?
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
Leader of the pack - I'm sensing a pattern here (some girl band)
- do you remember the "answer records" of the late 50s and
early 60s? there were also tongue-in-cheek (at best) ah,
"p-take reply records", including "leader of the laundromat";
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
Downtown - ooh! I know this one! Pet Clarke.
- by then, a definitely grown-up petula clark *g*;
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
Happy together - no, back to the pattern
- very popular as a wedding song, which is a little strange,
given it's all a daydream, a wistful wish-fulfilment. . .
[..]
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
After the goldrush - Bobby something
- arggh, that was the title; "harvest" was the album title; but
it was by singer-songwriter neil young (ex-buffalo springfield);
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
Angie baby, no idea who sang it.
- the rolling stones' "angie" ?
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
Dancing queen - Abba (even I can remember Abba)
- i should maybe've got this - but i can't say i ever took
abba's lyrics too seriously;
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"
Video killed the radio star - Buggles
- again, i know the sound of the song, but not the lyrics;
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
Games without frontiers - Peter Gabriel
- now he's a total blank to me;
[..]
Post by Diane L.
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
Ashes to ashes - David Bowie
- the only song i remember of that title was the mindbenders'
follow-up to "(we've got a) groovy kind of love";
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "By order of the Prophet"
Rock the Casbah - the Clash
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take me to Task""
Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
- two i mayn't've heard;
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Blimey, I'm rubbish at this!
- :-)) nigel did warn us they were meant to be difficult;

- love, ppint.
[drop the "v" and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
"unless the hakkikt was mad...
a definition which, between species, lacked precision."
DAW & Methuen p/bs, 1/82 & c./85; Phantasia h/cvr c./86
Brian Howlett
2011-12-30 15:17:08 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
Angie baby, no idea who sang it.
- the rolling stones' "angie" ?
Nope - right title. Helen Reddy, "Angie Baby".
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take me to Task""
Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
- two i mayn't've heard;
'Twas actually originally by Robert Wyatt, IIRC.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted
line. He caught every other fish.
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 15:48:12 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take me to Task""
Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
- two i mayn't've heard;
'Twas actually originally by Robert Wyatt, IIRC.
No, Wyatt had the hit; Costello wrote it.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Lesley Weston
2011-12-30 15:25:47 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
Fever - don't know who sang it
- "(you give me) fever" ? - i know it from the versions that
the mccoys recorded for bert berns' bang record label - it was
released as a follow-up to "hang on sloopy", a 60s hit in the
uk for andrew loog oldham's immediate records; a show song that
was a hit for a woman jazz-singer, first time around, perhaps?
Peggy Lee. Later, Rita Moreno and Animal sang it very nicely on /The
Muppet Show/.
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
Leader of the pack - I'm sensing a pattern here (some girl band)
- do you remember the "answer records" of the late 50s and
early 60s? there were also tongue-in-cheek (at best) ah,
"p-take reply records", including "leader of the laundromat";
Those were fun.

Lesley.
This address is real, but to reach me use leswes att shaw dott ca
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 15:47:40 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
Smoke gets in your eyes - don't know who sang it
- the platters;
Aye.
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
Fever - don't know who sang it
- "(you give me) fever" ? - i know it from the versions that
the mccoys recorded for bert berns' bang record label - it was
released as a follow-up to "hang on sloopy", a 60s hit in the
uk for andrew loog oldham's immediate records; a show song that
was a hit for a woman jazz-singer, first time around, perhaps?
Yes, it was. Think double-bass, drums and female vocal. Oh, and
finger-clicking.
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
Leader of the pack - I'm sensing a pattern here (some girl band)
- do you remember the "answer records" of the late 50s and
early 60s? there were also tongue-in-cheek (at best) ah,
"p-take reply records", including "leader of the laundromat";
By The Detergents. Me and Paul J. both adore that one.

"Who's that bangin' on the piano?"
"I dunno".
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
After the goldrush - Bobby something
- arggh, that was the title; "harvest" was the album title; but
it was by singer-songwriter neil young (ex-buffalo springfield);
Got it.
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
Angie baby, no idea who sang it.
- the rolling stones' "angie" ?
No, see my reply to Diane (I think it was).
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
Games without frontiers - Peter Gabriel
- now he's a total blank to me;
That's a shame - there are three of his in here.
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
Ashes to ashes - David Bowie
- the only song i remember of that title was the mindbenders'
follow-up to "(we've got a) groovy kind of love";
Yes, I know that one as well.
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "By order of the Prophet"
Rock the Casbah - the Clash
[..]
Post by Diane L.
Blimey, I'm rubbish at this!
- :-)) nigel did warn us they were meant to be difficult;
Well, not *difficult* - just requiring a retentive memory and a
moderately long life-span (which is a pity, because those attributes
don't necessarily go together).
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Lesley Weston
2011-12-30 15:29:10 UTC
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know! (and
don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
<after quite a few palpable hits>
Post by Diane L.
Blimey, I'm rubbish at this!
Hi Diane! Nice to see you again.

Lesley.
This address is real, but to reach me use leswes att shaw dott ca
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 15:42:11 UTC
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of my
singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you know! (and
don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
Smoke gets in your eyes - don't know who sang it
The Platters (well, they had the hit), but well done.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Just the way that you say 'Goodnight' to me"
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
3. "On a street-car or in the café"
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
Leader of the pack - I'm sensing a pattern here (some girl band)
Shangri-Las
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
8. "High above, the dawn is waking"
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
Happy together - no, back to the pattern
No, you're right. And what makes you think there's a pattern?
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
The Sun ain't gonna shine anymore - erm...
Walker Brothers.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
After the goldrush - Bobby something
Right song. Two well-known performances on record, one by the writer.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
9. "Girl you cause me so much pain and sorrow"
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
Angie baby, no idea who sang it.
Helen Reddy (written by Alan O'Day). One of those songs you could write
a screenplay around.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
Games without frontiers - Peter Gabriel
Yep.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "A puppet's motion controlled by a string"
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
Ashes to ashes - David Bowie
Spot on.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "Why is the bedroom so cold?"
5. "On a silent summer evening, the sky's alive with light"
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
7. "Our so-called leaders speak"
In an amazing development, I know it's The Police, but I can't
remember the title.
I won't give it away yet, but you're right about the artists.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take me to Task""
Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
Yes (although Robert Wyatt memorably had the hit with it).
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
14. "Easier said that done, you said"
15. "Wonder what's cooking at the house tonight"
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
17. "You hear the door slam"
18. "I'm looking for reasons - day in, day out"
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"
21. "There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway"
22. "Baby, I think tonight we can take what was wrong and make it right"
23. "You could have a big dipper"
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel again.
Yes.
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
25. "I spy tears in their eyes"
1. "We plied an ancient trade where we threw all life's instructions away"
2. "Well the years they passed so slowly, I thought about him every day"
3. "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld"
4. "I'd work very hard, but I'm lazy"
5. "And singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema aisles"
Blimey, I'm rubbish at this!
Nonsense. It's just that I wanted to span a large period of time
(1958-1997). You can't expect to be as anal as I am - and, as I said to
ppint upthread, I only knew them all because I set them.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
John S. Wilkins
2011-12-30 23:51:37 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "Why is the bedroom so cold?"
5. "On a silent summer evening, the sky's alive with light"
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
7. "Our so-called leaders speak"
In an amazing development, I know it's The Police, but I can't
remember the title.
I won't give it away yet, but you're right about the artists.
Doodahdah. I should have seen this one.
Larry
2011-12-31 00:06:07 UTC
Post by John S. Wilkins
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by Diane L.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
Is that The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?
Some US state name for the band, I think?
Post by John S. Wilkins
Post by Nigel Stapley
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-31 01:35:10 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
Is that The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?
Some US state name for the band, I think?
Nope - a band name for The Band ;-)
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
John S. Wilkins
2011-12-31 01:40:44 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by Larry
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
Is that The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?
Some US state name for the band, I think?
Nope - a band name for The Band ;-)
Didn't Joan Baez do it first?
Voidsinger
2011-12-31 04:35:24 UTC
Post by John S. Wilkins
Didn't Joan Baez do it first?
Nope. Robbie Robertson from The Band wrote it (along with The Weight,
another favourite).

Morgan
Larry
What was the town in The Weight?
Brian Howlett
2011-12-31 11:07:55 UTC
Post by Larry
What was the town in The Weight?
Nazareth, PA.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
When I told the folks back home that I was coming to Auchtermuchty,
they said "Wear the fox hat"...
Larry
2011-12-31 13:11:39 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
Post by Larry
What was the town in The Weight?
Nazareth, PA.
Pennsylvania? Strangely, I took that for a NT reference :-)
Thanks.
Brian Howlett
2011-12-31 13:38:33 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
Post by Larry
What was the town in The Weight?
Nazareth, PA.
Pennsylvania? Strangely, I took that for a NT reference :-) Thanks.
Google/Wikipedia are your friends ;)
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
I installed a skylight in my apartment.
The people who live above me are furious!
Larry
The task is to avoid Google during this thread.
Brian Howlett
2011-12-31 20:11:18 UTC
On 31 Dec, Larry wrote:

[snip]
Post by Larry
The task is to avoid Google during this thread.
Nah, once the song's been identified, anything else is just research
;)
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Karl Marx's grave. Just another Communist Plot?
Larry
2011-12-31 21:00:57 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
[snip]
Post by Larry
The task is to avoid Google during this thread.
Nah, once the song's been identified, anything else is just research
;)
OK, The Leonard Cohen afterlife hasn't been done and I'm curious.

Now - 'Leonard Cohen will never take my washing in', I know, but not
that one.
Sabremeister Brian
2011-12-30 12:08:24 UTC
In a speech called
Post by Nigel Stapley
As threatened.
The following 80 quotes are all from UK hit singles.
They are skewed towards the 60s-80s because that's when most of
my singles collection dates from. There's also an expected UK
bias.
The quoted lyrics are from the *second* verse of each song.
Answers in a few days - and no cheating! I can see you, you
know! (and don't make that gesture to me, Mr Nicholass! :-))
1. "Do you remember, baby, last September"
2. "So I chaffed them, and I gaily laughed"
3. "Well Adam told Eve, "You listen here to me...""
4. "I met her on the mountain"
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
1. "Just the way that you say 'Goodnight' to me"
I think I know this one, but I've no idea what it is.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
3. "On a street-car or in the café"
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
5. "My folks were always putting him down"
6. "Don't hang around and let your problems surround you"
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
I'm pretty sure I've heard this before as well...
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "High above, the dawn is waking"
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
12. "You walked behind me, following closely"
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
14. "In the room where you've been sleeping, all your clothes
are thrown about"
15. "So I lay upon my side with all the windows open wide"
Flowers in the Rain by The Move
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
17. "I know I need a small vacation"
18. "Sweeping cobwebs from the edges of my mind"
I've run across this one too
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "He's never near you to comfort and cheer you"
20. "Stepping from cloud to cloud, passing years of light"
And this, I think...
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "When you're down and out, when you're on the street"
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - can't remember who by
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
9. "Girl you cause me so much pain and sorrow"
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
11. "When salmon spawn"
12. "The hours that were yours echo like empty rooms"
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
14. "You only came for a smile"
15. "To keep in silence I resigned"
16. "The doctors are avoiding me, my vision is confused"
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
Summer in the City, Billy Joel?
Post by Nigel Stapley
18. "I can't see much of a future"
Ever Fallen in Love with Someone you Shouldn't Have?, The
Buzzcocks
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "With the dark, oh I see so very clearly now"
20. "The plane is on the move"
21. "I'm gonna call her on the telephone"
Teenage Kicks, The Undertones
Either that or Telephone, Blondie
Post by Nigel Stapley
22. "Sing it in the subway"
23. "I said now watch what you say"
24. "Now the light fades out"
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
2. "A puppet's motion controlled by a string"
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
4. "Why is the bedroom so cold?"
5. "On a silent summer evening, the sky's alive with light"
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
Ace of Spades, Motorhead (Hearing the opening bar of which is
enough to trigger an almost-reflex action and propel me to the
dance floor)
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "Our so-called leaders speak"
8. "So I lay down in the darkness with the beer and coffee
stains" 9. "Princes stand in queues, they stand accused"
10. "Watching your friends passing by"
11. "By order of the Prophet"
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take
me to Task"" 14. "Easier said that done, you said"
15. "Wonder what's cooking at the house tonight"
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
17. "You hear the door slam"
18. "I'm looking for reasons - day in, day out"
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
I know this one as well.
Post by Nigel Stapley
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"
21. "There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway"
22. "Baby, I think tonight we can take what was wrong and make
it right" 23. "You could have a big dipper"
It's that one with the weird stop-motion animation video. ...
Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel?
(Incidentally, check out this video a friend of my sister made, in
the same style, for Keep Your Eyes on the Road by Lone Wolf:

Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
25. "I spy tears in their eyes"
1. "We plied an ancient trade where we threw all life's
instructions away" 2. "Well the years they passed so slowly, I
thought about him
every day" 3. "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld"
4. "I'd work very hard, but I'm lazy"
5. "And singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema
aisles"
Brimful of Asha, Cornershop

It doesn't help that "Behind Blue Eyes" is currenty earworming me,
and I'm trying to read all of the lyrics to that tune...
- Me, April 2004
ppint. at pplay
2011-12-30 12:51:48 UTC
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
15. "So I lay upon my side with all the windows open wide"
Flowers in the Rain by The Move
- arggh; i'd've got it if i'd accentuated the "so" - not
that i ever rated it; bubblegum, and not a patch upon their
first two singles, nowhere near their best - "brontosaurus".
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - can't remember who by
- bachman-turner overdrive; i remember it fairly well, but
never knew it word for word. "a lot better than most of
starus quo's singles" - *g*
[..]
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
Summer in the City, Billy Joel?
- not quite the same lyrics as the lovin' spoonful's 60s
charting single of that title, then. . .
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
18. "I can't see much of a future"
Ever Fallen in Love with Someone you Shouldn't Have?
The Buzzcocks
- i remember the single, not the lyrics (nor the group)
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Teenage Kicks, The Undertones
Either that or Telephone, Blondie
- it took me a while to work out that most of the singles
i liked by blondie were actually by the pretenders - and
longer yet, to work out that some were actually by blondie. . .

[..]
[..]
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
Ace of Spades, Motorhead (Hearing the opening bar of which is
enough to trigger an almost-reflex action and propel me to the
dance floor)
- well, i can recognise it from the chorus. . .
[..]
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
I know this one as well.
- the sentiment'd fit "(just another) manic monday";
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "You could have a big dipper"
It's that one with the weird stop-motion animation video. ...
Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel?
(Incidentally, check out this video a friend of my sister made, in
http://youtu.be/fGakELOK5ZE
[..]
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "And singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema
aisles"
Brimful of Asha, Cornershop
It doesn't help that "Behind Blue Eyes" is currenty earworming me,
and I'm trying to read all of the lyrics to that tune...
- what have the best (i.e. most insidious) chart single
ear worms been?

- love, ppint.
drop the "v" and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
"...she got lost in a lift in prior's [department store]"
"lost!? _how_ can you get lost in a _lift_?
highgate, or possibly golder's green, sometime early - mid 60s
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 16:01:58 UTC
Post by ppint. at pplay
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - can't remember who by
- bachman-turner overdrive; i remember it fairly well, but
never knew it word for word. "a lot better than most of
starus quo's singles" - *g*
So are frisbees...
Post by ppint. at pplay
[..]
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
I know this one as well.
- the sentiment'd fit "(just another) manic monday";
The sentiment might, but I'd like to see you try fitting it with the
actual song - and the performers.
Post by ppint. at pplay
Ahem: http://www.thejudge.me.uk/Not_blog/Not_blog.htm#11_10_11
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 15:57:35 UTC
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
1. "When you're down and out, when you're on the street"
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
3. "She's got a brother, like any other"
4. "Come on with me cruising down the street"
5. "I told Billy Ray in his red Chevrolet"
6. "I was lying in a burned-out basement"
7. "And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure"
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - can't remember who by
Bachman Turner Overdrive.
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
8. "Oh your friends with their fancy persuasions"
9. "Girl you cause me so much pain and sorrow"
10. "Lovers appear in your room each night"
11. "When salmon spawn"
12. "The hours that were yours echo like empty rooms"
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
14. "You only came for a smile"
15. "To keep in silence I resigned"
16. "The doctors are avoiding me, my vision is confused"
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
Summer in the City, Billy Joel?
No, more...Orchestral.
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
18. "I can't see much of a future"
Ever Fallen in Love with Someone you Shouldn't Have?, The
Buzzcocks
Yep. Although it's "shouldn't've", giving us a rare example of a song
title containing a word which has *two* contractive apostrophes in it.
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "With the dark, oh I see so very clearly now"
20. "The plane is on the move"
21. "I'm gonna call her on the telephone"
Teenage Kicks, The Undertones
Either that or Telephone, Blondie
Right with the first one.
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
22. "Sing it in the subway"
23. "I said now watch what you say"
24. "Now the light fades out"
25. "And now we meet in an abandoned studio"
1. "Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue"
2. "A puppet's motion controlled by a string"
3. "Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight"
4. "Why is the bedroom so cold?"
5. "On a silent summer evening, the sky's alive with light"
6. "Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil"
Ace of Spades, Motorhead (Hearing the opening bar of which is
enough to trigger an almost-reflex action and propel me to the
dance floor)
Correct (and thanks for the warning!) :-)
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "Our so-called leaders speak"
8. "So I lay down in the darkness with the beer and coffee
stains" 9. "Princes stand in queues, they stand accused"
10. "Watching your friends passing by"
11. "By order of the Prophet"
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
13. "Well I ask you, the boy said "Dad, they're going to take
me to Task"" 14. "Easier said that done, you said"
15. "Wonder what's cooking at the house tonight"
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
17. "You hear the door slam"
18. "I'm looking for reasons - day in, day out"
19. "The sun is laughing, it's another broken morning"
I know this one as well.
I've just had to look at my list because I've forgotten what this one was.
Post by Sabremeister Brian
Post by Nigel Stapley
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"
21. "There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway"
22. "Baby, I think tonight we can take what was wrong and make
it right" 23. "You could have a big dipper"
It's that one with the weird stop-motion animation video. ...
Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel?
Right.
Post by Nigel Stapley
24. "From Bissau to Palau in the shade of Avalon"
25. "I spy tears in their eyes"
1. "We plied an ancient trade where we threw all life's
instructions away" 2. "Well the years they passed so slowly, I
thought about him
every day" 3. "Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld"
4. "I'd work very hard, but I'm lazy"
5. "And singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema
aisles"
Brimful of Asha, Cornershop
Yaha sahi hai (although it should be in Panjabi)
Post by Sabremeister Brian
It doesn't help that "Behind Blue Eyes" is currenty earworming me,
and I'm trying to read all of the lyrics to that tune...
"One Song To The Tune Of Another" has a long and revered history...
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Voidsinger
2011-12-30 16:00:25 UTC
Okay, lots of time lurking and enjoying. I might as well join the fun.

A couple I don't think anybody has mentioned yet.
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
"The Night they drove old Dixie down", The Band
Post by Nigel Stapley
21. "There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway"
"Silent Running", Mike and the Mechanics

Morgan
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-30 16:05:55 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
"The Night they drove old Dixie down", The Band
Yep. Or Joan Baez, who had the hit over here (and who changed some of
the words because she learned it from The Band's recording of it).

(Funny how the Deep Sawf needed a Canadian to put their experience into
song).

<reply-to will bounce>
Lesley Weston
2011-12-31 13:55:43 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
"The Night they drove old Dixie down", The Band
Yep. Or Joan Baez, who had the hit over here (and who changed some of
the words because she learned it from The Band's recording of it).
(Funny how the Deep Sawf needed a Canadian to put their experience into
song).
It's Joni Mitchell who's Canadian. Joan Baez is as American as apple
pie. I've never understood why that's the defining criterion, but there
it is.

Lesley.
This address is real, but to reach me use leswes att shaw dott ca
Nigel Stapley
2011-12-31 15:45:41 UTC
Post by Lesley Weston
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
"The Night they drove old Dixie down", The Band
Yep. Or Joan Baez, who had the hit over here (and who changed some of
the words because she learned it from The Band's recording of it).
(Funny how the Deep Sawf needed a Canadian to put their experience into
song).
It's Joni Mitchell who's Canadian. Joan Baez is as American as apple
pie. I've never understood why that's the defining criterion, but there
it is.
No, the song was *written* by Robbie Robertson - also a Canuck.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Lesley Weston
2012-01-01 14:13:11 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by Lesley Weston
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "Back with my wife in Tennessee"
"The Night they drove old Dixie down", The Band
Yep. Or Joan Baez, who had the hit over here (and who changed some of
the words because she learned it from The Band's recording of it).
(Funny how the Deep Sawf needed a Canadian to put their experience into
song).
It's Joni Mitchell who's Canadian. Joan Baez is as American as apple
pie. I've never understood why that's the defining criterion, but
there it is.
No, the song was *written* by Robbie Robertson - also a Canuck.
I didn't know that!

Lesley.
This address is real, but to reach me use leswes att shaw dott ca
CCA
2012-01-01 22:15:54 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "I met her on the mountain"
"Da Doo Ron Ron Ron" by...well, I know either the Crystals or the
Ronettes did it, but that was in the sixties
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
"Fever" Peggy Lee
Post by Nigel Stapley
2. "From my laboratory in the castle east"
"The Monster Mash" by The Crypt Kickers
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
Post by Nigel Stapley
7. "I just can't get over losing you"
"Walk On By" Dionne Warwick
Post by Nigel Stapley
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
"Happy Together" I've forgotten who by though
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
"Reach Out I'll Be There" The Four Tops
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
"The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" The Walker Brothers
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
"Itchycoo Park" The Kinks
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
"Israelites" Desmond Dekker
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "He's never near you to comfort and cheer you"
"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" I remember Bananarama's version in
the eighties but can't remember or don't know who did the original
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
"Dancing Queen" Abba
Post by Nigel Stapley
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
"Mr Blue Sky" ELO
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "I said now watch what you say"
"Alright Now" Free
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "By order of the Prophet"
"Rock The Casbah" The Clash
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
"Senses Working Overtime" XTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
For some reason I'm thinking "You Wear The Crown" by Gary Byrd and the
GB Experience. This was the only one I was tempted to google, and
when I've finished posting this I will do...
Post by Nigel Stapley
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"

CCA
Nigel Stapley
2012-01-01 22:28:02 UTC
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "I met her on the mountain"
"Da Doo Ron Ron Ron" by...well, I know either the Crystals or the
Ronettes did it, but that was in the sixties
Nope.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
5. "Sun lights up the daytime"
"Fever" Peggy Lee
Aye.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "He let his hair grow long, and he dressed in style"
"Lola" The Kinks
No. Nothing to do with transvestism. This is quite an obscure one, though.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
9. "If I should call you up, invest a dime"
"Happy Together" I've forgotten who by though
The Turtles.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
10. "When you feel lost, and about to give up"
"Reach Out I'll Be There" The Four Tops
Well done - no-one else had got that one so far.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "Emptiness is a place you're in"
"The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" The Walker Brothers
Tick.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
"Itchycoo Park" The Kinks
Right - and no-one else had got this one before either.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
"Israelites" Desmond Dekker
And again you beat them all too it.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
19. "He's never near you to comfort and cheer you"
"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" I remember Bananarama's version in
the eighties but can't remember or don't know who did the original
Steam.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "You're a teaser, you turn 'em on"
"Dancing Queen" Abba
Yes.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
17. "Runnin' down the avenue"
"Mr Blue Sky" ELO
Right.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "I said now watch what you say"
"Alright Now" Free
No. Other end of the decade and different type of rock.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
11. "By order of the Prophet"
"Rock The Casbah" The Clash
Correct.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
12. "Hey hey, night fights day"
"Senses Working Overtime" XTC
And here's another you were the first to get.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
For some reason I'm thinking "You Wear The Crown" by Gary Byrd and the
GB Experience. This was the only one I was tempted to google, and
when I've finished posting this I will do...
Naughty! Clue: think bike.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
20. "I got plans for us, nights in the scullery"
"The Riddle" Nik Kershaw
You've got yet another one before anyone else.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "You could have a big dipper"
"Sledgehammer" Peter Gabriel
Tick.

You've done really well here.

I was going to publish the answers tonight, but I think I'll leave it a
bit longer. If you see Eric about, pass this on to him - I think he'd
get most of them.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Larry
Is that Hang down your head Tom Dooley?
Nigel Stapley
2012-01-01 23:51:44 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
4. "I met her on the mountain"
"Da Doo Ron Ron Ron" by...well, I know either the Crystals or the
Ronettes did it, but that was in the sixties
Nope.
Is that Hang down your head Tom Dooley?
Yep!
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Brian Howlett
2012-01-01 23:17:01 UTC
Ahem. Message-ID: <***@bhowlett.plus.net>
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
He's fallen in the water!
Nigel Stapley
2012-01-01 23:52:35 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "My wife and my kids, they pack up and-a leave me"
"Israelites" Desmond Dekker
And again you beat them all too it.
Oops. Sorry.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
CCA
2012-01-02 17:20:57 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "I said now watch what you say"
"Alright Now" Free
No. Other end of the decade and different type of rock.
Free re-released 'All Right Now' in 1978 too, though. I remember
dancing to it when I was about eight or nine-ish :-)
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
For some reason I'm thinking "You Wear The Crown" by Gary Byrd and the
GB Experience.  This was the only one I was tempted to google, and
when I've finished posting this I will do...
Naughty! Clue: think bike.
I know this one now, but I found it out through google so I won't
mention what it is :-)

CCA
Nigel Stapley
2012-01-02 17:41:55 UTC
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
23. "I said now watch what you say"
"Alright Now" Free
No. Other end of the decade and different type of rock.
Free re-released 'All Right Now' in 1978 too, though. I remember
dancing to it when I was about eight or nine-ish :-)
That was a re-issue.
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
16. "Galibier et Tourmalet"
For some reason I'm thinking "You Wear The Crown" by Gary Byrd and the
GB Experience. This was the only one I was tempted to google, and
when I've finished posting this I will do...
Naughty! Clue: think bike.
I know this one now, but I found it out through google so I won't
mention what it is :-)
Danke schön (ooh, what a giveaway!)

Might I recommend this jolly good website:

http://www.45cat.com/

It is an attempt to list all the 7" singles ever issued. Initially just
for the UK, now worldwide, it currently has a database of 150 000 singles.

Interest declared: I am a mod for it.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Richard Cole
2012-01-07 18:53:47 UTC
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:28:02 +0000, Nigel Stapley
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by CCA
Post by Nigel Stapley
13. "I tell you what I'll do"
"Itchycoo Park" The Kinks
Right - and no-one else had got this one before either.
The Small Faces not the Kinks.

Richard
--
www.caravanningnow.co.uk, www.rcole.org and www.homeindorset.com
...and so, as the pleasant sitting room of time is mutilated by the Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen of destiny... - Humphrey Lyttelton closing comment in I'm sorry I haven't a clue.