{I} Twenty questions, a themed lyrics quiz
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-28 19:35:48 UTC
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to a broad
theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup. Two points for
the title of the song, two points for the performer, and an extra point
for how it relates to the theme. In some cases that should be extremely
obvious, in other it may well not be. At least it should be very difficult
to get no points at all. Getting the lot would seriously impress me.

There are a few in there that are obscure. There should only be one song
that pretty much nobody will know but many should be able to get the extra
point for it anyway. No googling, at least not until you get stuck.

1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan died"

2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"

3: "That book by Nabakov"

4: "You shouldn’t come around here singing up at people like that"

5: "Please don’t put your life in the hands of a rock and roll band"

6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"

7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"

8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"

9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats"

10: "When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead"

11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"

12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"

13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"

14 "Just another lost journey where everything’s turning away"

15 "This world is big and wild and half insane"

16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"

17 "I’m not fit to even tune your guitar"

18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"

19 "My hair's electrically aware"

20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"

Enjoy or ignore as you wish.
--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
"live fast, die only if strictly necessary"
Matthew Seaman
2006-04-28 20:13:07 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
The Theme from 'Goldfinger', sung by Shirley Bassey.

The only one I have the slightest clue about.

Cheers,

Matthew
--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 7 Priory Courtyard
Flat 3
Kent, CT11 9PW
CCA
2006-04-28 20:19:25 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to a broad
theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup. Two points for
the title of the song, two points for the performer, and an extra point
for how it relates to the theme.
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
Don't know the song or performer, but the theme appears to be firearms
Post by Eric Jarvis
3: "That book by Nabakov"
The Police, "Don't Stand So Close To Me". Theme - education (recently
covered in the megathread) and probably also teenage sex (ditto)
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that"
Dire Straits "Juliet" (which may, now I come to think of it, be called
'Romeo and Juliet'). Theme - not sure
Post by Eric Jarvis
5: "Please don't put your life in the hands of a rock and roll band"
Oasis "Don't Look Back In Anger". Theme - letting your anger get the
better of you, etc, covered in the megathread.
Post by Eric Jarvis
6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"
Hmmm...is there wine in this somewhere?
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
Don't know song or performer. Theme - Stacie's recent threat/promise to
turn people into frogs at the Con
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
Well, if there's not a conversation about leather going on at the
moment, it's never far away here!
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Shirley Bassey, 'Goldfinger'. Theme may be to do with the next line,
"A spider's touch".
Post by Eric Jarvis
18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"
Recent condom thread?

Will enjoy seeing what the others are.
CCA
Nigel Stapley
2006-04-28 20:39:46 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
3: "That book by Nabakov"
"Don't Stand So Close To Me" - The Police. Sent up by the HeeBeeGeeBees,
with the line, "Like that guy in the book by Solzhenitsyn".
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
"Venus In Furs" - Velvet Underground. Prefer Half Man Half Biscuit's
"Venus In Flares".
Post by Eric Jarvis
10: "When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead"
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane. Heard a great club version of that
once on Peel's show.
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
"Goldfinger" by Burly Chassis.
Post by Eric Jarvis
19 "My hair's electrically aware"
"Steppenwolf" by Hawkwind. Lyrics by the wonderful, late, lamented
Robert Calvert.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-28 21:17:40 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
"Venus In Furs" - Velvet Underground. Prefer Half Man Half Biscuit's
"Venus In Flares".
Haven't heard that in ages. I really don't have anywhere near enough of
their stuff.
Post by Eric Jarvis
19 "My hair's electrically aware"
"Steppenwolf" by Hawkwind. Lyrics by the wonderful, late, lamented
Robert Calvert.
And my favourite line in the quiz. It's a great line in the song but has a
somewhat disconcerting beauty when all context is removed. :)
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-28 20:40:40 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a
link to a broad theme that is appropriate (in theory) to
this newsgroup. Two points for the title of the song, two
points for the performer, and an extra point for how it
relates to the theme. In some cases that should be
extremely obvious, in other it may well not be. At least it
should be very difficult to get no points at all. Getting
the lot would seriously impress me.
There are a few in there that are obscure. There should
only be one song that pretty much nobody will know but many
should be able to get the extra point for it anyway. No
googling, at least not until you get stuck.
I'm not clear if there's one theme that they all relate to in
different ways, or if they all relate to a different relevent
theme. I've therefore held off on attemting that bit 'till I
get clarification.
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
"In Your Own World" by Shakespeare's Sister.
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
Oh... *heck*. I've heard it, but I have no idea what it's
called or who it's by.
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Goldfinger by Shirley Bassey.
--
Dave
Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc
Penguin edition of Little Dorrit." -Joss Whedon
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-28 21:21:41 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a
link to a broad theme that is appropriate (in theory) to
this newsgroup. Two points for the title of the song, two
points for the performer, and an extra point for how it
relates to the theme. In some cases that should be
extremely obvious, in other it may well not be. At least it
should be very difficult to get no points at all. Getting
the lot would seriously impress me.
There are a few in there that are obscure. There should
only be one song that pretty much nobody will know but many
should be able to get the extra point for it anyway. No
googling, at least not until you get stuck.
I'm not clear if there's one theme that they all relate to in
different ways, or if they all relate to a different relevent
theme. I've therefore held off on attemting that bit 'till I
get clarification.
One theme, sort of relevant to afp.
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
"In Your Own World" by Shakespeare's Sister.
Right band, wrong title.
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
Oh... *heck*. I've heard it, but I have no idea what it's
called or who it's by.
This is where I get to frown and say "you young people" in a disapproving
voice.
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Goldfinger by Shirley Bassey.
Yes. The infamous Bond theme song that by some catastrophic error ended up
having a tune.
CCA
2006-04-28 22:48:21 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
I'm not clear if there's one theme that they all relate to in
different ways, or if they all relate to a different relevent
theme. I've therefore held off on attemting that bit 'till I
get clarification.
One theme, sort of relevant to afp.
Oh, *one* theme?

*feels like an idiot*

In that case, please disregard my post above. Apart from the song
titles and performers, anyway...

CCA
Orjan Westin
2006-04-28 20:59:06 UTC
Eric Jarvis wrote:

All right, so most of the simple ones (Goldfinger, Romeo and Juliet,
Don't stand so close to me) have been taken, but Daibhid got the wrong
title on another one.
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
The song's called "Stay", though.
Post by Eric Jarvis
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
Tori Amos, though I don't know the name. I was listening to that on the
train today, actually.

If it's a common theme to all songs, I'd say "Forbidden Love".

Orjan
--
The Tale of Westala and Villtin
http://tale.cunobaros.com/
http://www.cunobaros.com/
Brian Wakeling
2006-04-28 21:15:43 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
The song's called "Stay", though.
By Shakespeare's Sister.

I always heard the lyric as "can't break the spell", which is why I
didn't recognise it until now.
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/b.wakeling/index.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sabremeister/
I don't want introspection, I want a bloody car!
BriD(bethbriuk@yahoo.co.uk)
2006-04-28 21:18:17 UTC
Post by Orjan Westin
All right, so most of the simple ones (Goldfinger, Romeo and Juliet,
Don't stand so close to me) have been taken, but Daibhid got the wrong
title on another one.
Snip
Post by Orjan Westin
If it's a common theme to all songs, I'd say "Forbidden Love".
Could well be! I assume that "That Book by Nabokhov" is "Lolita"
The only other reference I got was the Goldfinger one.

BriD
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-28 21:13:19 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
The song's called "Stay", though.
Pretty much their only hit IIRC.
Post by Orjan Westin
Post by Eric Jarvis
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
Tori Amos, though I don't know the name. I was listening to that on the
train today, actually.
If it's a common theme to all songs, I'd say "Forbidden Love".
Cold. It's more obvious than that.
Brian Wakeling
2006-04-28 22:30:16 UTC
Post by Orjan Westin
Post by Eric Jarvis
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
Tori Amos, though I don't know the name. I was listening to that
on the train today, actually.
If it's a common theme to all songs, I'd say "Forbidden Love".
Cold. It's more obvious than that.
It wouldn't be the monster thread I've just kf'ed, would it?
"Yan, tan, tethra, huthuthut!"
Arthur Hagen
2006-05-02 11:12:46 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Orjan Westin
If it's a common theme to all songs, I'd say "Forbidden Love".
Cold. It's more obvious than that.
If it was more obvious, then people would have gotten it. They didn't, so
it wasn't.

Regards,
*Art
Torak
2006-04-28 21:33:38 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to a broad
theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup. Two points for
the title of the song, two points for the performer, and an extra point
for how it relates to the theme. In some cases that should be extremely
obvious, in other it may well not be. At least it should be very difficult
to get no points at all. Getting the lot would seriously impress me.
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Goldfinger. Shirley Bassey, wasn't it?

Either I need to listen more carefully to the lyrics, or my music
collection has absolutely no overlap with yours. :-D
Louise Mac Mahon
2006-04-28 22:21:06 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan died"
playwright and author mentioned
Post by Eric Jarvis
3: "That book by Nabakov"
another author
no Brits so far
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that"
ok the bard is mentioned, or at least one play
Post by Eric Jarvis
6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"
another brace of literary dudes
Post by Eric Jarvis
9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats"
a poet
Post by Eric Jarvis
11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"
painting by Munch?
Post by Eric Jarvis
20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"
another literary reference

so some are referencing thinkers/artists/writers, not improbably for this
group

also a fair bit of forbidden/doomed love, but that's popular music for you

ooh fun
Louise
lousy on titles and artists, of course I *knew* all the ones other people
jumped in with :-) Knopfler, Police, pah.
um
so who are all the other ones ....
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-28 22:34:28 UTC
Post by Louise Mac Mahon
Post by Eric Jarvis
1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan
died"
playwright and author mentioned
Post by Eric Jarvis
3: "That book by Nabakov"
another author
no Brits so far
Post by Eric Jarvis
20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"
another literary reference
so some are referencing thinkers/artists/writers, not
improbably for this group
Ooh! Specifically writers! 11 refers to "I Have No Mouth But I
Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison. And then there's
*Shakespeare*'s Sister, and Goldfinger was, of course, a book
by Alexander Fleming.

Okay, now that I know the theme, I'm going to have another
look...
Nigel Stapley
2006-04-28 22:58:59 UTC
...and Goldfinger was, of course, a book
by Alexander Fleming.
Yur...he wrote it just before he discovered penicillin... ;-)
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-28 23:25:00 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
...and Goldfinger was, of course, a book
by Alexander Fleming.
Yur...he wrote it just before he discovered penicillin...
;-)
My mistake. That was Mouldfinger...
Ssirienna
2006-04-28 22:34:08 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to a broad
theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup. Two points for
the title of the song, two points for the performer, and an extra point
for how it relates to the theme. In some cases that should be extremely
obvious, in other it may well not be. At least it should be very difficult
to get no points at all. Getting the lot would seriously impress me.
4: "You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that"
Dire Straits
"Romeo & Juliet"
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
Shakespeare's Sister
"Stay"
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Shirley Bassey?
"Goldfinger"

No idea yet for a theme - especially considering the
ones I knew :-)

Ssirienna
A dirty mind is a thing of beauty and a joy forever
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-28 22:49:12 UTC
Also Sprach Eric Jarvis:

Okay, on the assumption that the connection is writers (thanks
Louise), here's my ideas. I haven't Googled any of the lyrics
yet (although I have checked a couple of names).

Thanks to everyone who ID'ed what the songs actually *are*. As
you can see, this helps...
Post by Eric Jarvis
1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan
died"
Brendan Behan.
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
Might this be a reference to Chekhov's Gun, and hence to Anton
Chekhov?
Post by Eric Jarvis
3: "That book by Nabakov"
Vladimir Nabokov.
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn’t come around here singing up at people
like that"
William Shakespeare ("Romeo and Juliet").
Post by Eric Jarvis
5: "Please don’t put your life in the hands of a rock and
roll band"
John Osborne ("[Don't] Look Back in Anger").
Post by Eric Jarvis
6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"
Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud.
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
William Shakespeare (in the band name).
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
I *think* "Venus in Furs" is the title of a book, but I don't
know who it's by.
Post by Eric Jarvis
9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats"
John Keats.
Post by Eric Jarvis
10: "When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead"
11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"
Harlan Ellison, author of "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream".
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Ian Fleming, author of "Goldfinger". (Also whichever Greek
mythmaker first came up with King Midas.)
Post by Eric Jarvis
13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"
14 "Just another lost journey where everything’s turning
away"
15 "This world is big and wild and half insane"
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
This has a J.M. Barrieish feel to it. Although if it's Tori
Amos there's probably a Neil Gaiman ref elsewhere in the
song...
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I’m not fit to even tune your guitar"
18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"
19 "My hair's electrically aware"
Since it's Hawkwind, probably Michael Moorcock.
Post by Eric Jarvis
20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"
Carlos Casteneda.
Post by Eric Jarvis
Enjoy or ignore as you wish.
Nigel Stapley
2006-04-28 23:03:42 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
I *think* "Venus in Furs" is the title of a book, but I don't
know who it's by.
Sacher-Masoch I think.
Post by Eric Jarvis
19 "My hair's electrically aware"
Since it's Hawkwind, probably Michael Moorcock.
Nothing so crap, for once. Hesse. Robert Calvert's literary knowledge
was rather broader than that of the rest of the group. Hence, when he
was a member of the band, they also used ideas/titles from better
writers: Zelazny ("Damnation Alley"), Spinrad ("The Iron Dream"), etc.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-28 23:41:12 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan
died"
Brendan Behan.
Of course.
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
Might this be a reference to Chekhov's Gun, and hence to Anton
Chekhov?
No. Though you are young enough to be forgiven not getting this one.
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Post by Eric Jarvis
3: "That book by Nabakov"
Vladimir Nabokov.
Naturally.
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn’t come around here singing up at people
like that"
William Shakespeare ("Romeo and Juliet").
Indeed, the obligatory Bard reference.
Post by Eric Jarvis
5: "Please don’t put your life in the hands of a rock and
roll band"
John Osborne ("[Don't] Look Back in Anger").
MAximum points :)
Post by Eric Jarvis
6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"
Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud.
The very same.
Post by Eric Jarvis
7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"
William Shakespeare (in the band name).
The gratuitous Bard reference.
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
I *think* "Venus in Furs" is the title of a book, but I don't
know who it's by.
It is indeed the title of a book.
Post by Eric Jarvis
9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats"
John Keats.
Yes, and my favourite line in the quiz.
Post by Eric Jarvis
10: "When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead"
11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"
Harlan Ellison, author of "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream".
Correct. The song itself is very obscure and I just put it in to see who
could get there directly from the line.
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Ian Fleming, author of "Goldfinger". (Also whichever Greek
mythmaker first came up with King Midas.)
I suspect Midas doesn't really count.
Post by Eric Jarvis
13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"
14 "Just another lost journey where everything’s turning
away"
15 "This world is big and wild and half insane"
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
This has a J.M. Barrieish feel to it. Although if it's Tori
Amos there's probably a Neil Gaiman ref elsewhere in the
song...
On the cold side of lukewarm.
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I’m not fit to even tune your guitar"
18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"
19 "My hair's electrically aware"
Since it's Hawkwind, probably Michael Moorcock.
Fraid not.
Post by Eric Jarvis
20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"
Carlos Casteneda.
Finishing as it started with a clue to the theme.
Orjan Westin
2006-05-02 09:52:45 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
Might this be a reference to Chekhov's Gun, and hence to Anton
Chekhov?
No. Though you are young enough to be forgiven not getting this one.
I really should have spotted that - I recognised it, but couldn't
pinpoint artist or song. Once the theme of writers was established, I
realised it's Cure's Killing an Arab, which is based on Albert Camus'
The Stranger.

In my defence I must say that although I've heard it a lot (living with
a Cure fan will do that to you) I've never really listened to it, as I
can't stand the singer's voice, for some reason. It just grates on my
ears.

Orjan
http://www.cunobaros.com/
Eric Jarvis
2006-05-02 11:30:43 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
Might this be a reference to Chekhov's Gun, and hence to Anton
Chekhov?
No. Though you are young enough to be forgiven not getting this one.
I really should have spotted that - I recognised it, but couldn't
pinpoint artist or song. Once the theme of writers was established, I
realised it's Cure's Killing an Arab, which is based on Albert Camus'
The Stranger.
In my defence I must say that although I've heard it a lot (living with
a Cure fan will do that to you) I've never really listened to it, as I
can't stand the singer's voice, for some reason. It just grates on my
ears.
I suppose that's the whole point of quizzes. We all know a lot more of the
answers than we can ever get. The challenge is finding different bits of
memory and putting them together in a different way than how they are
stored. It's difficult with music, where people of different ages are
likely to know different songs, but I think a good quiz should have lots
of people asking themselves "how could I miss that answer".

I rather like the Cure, but also don't much like Robert Smith's voice.
I've got several of their albums, but have to play them rarely or they can
become irritating. He's written some truly superb songs though. Killing an
Arab not, in fact, being one of my favourites.
Stacie Hanes
2006-05-02 14:07:05 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
I rather like the Cure, but also don't much like Robert Smith's
voice. I've got several of their albums, but have to play them
rarely or they can become irritating. He's written some truly
superb songs though. Killing an Arab not, in fact, being one of my
favourites.
I didn't recognize the song, just the situation. So I got the book right,
but had no idea about The Cure.
--
Stacie, 4th swordswoman of the afpocalypse.
AFPMinister of Flexible Weapons, Bondage-happy predator,
just have to be a horrible warning." C. Aird, _His Burial Too_
E.S.
Since the song was "White Rabbit", Lewis Carroll.
Brian Howlett
2006-04-28 23:29:04 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs.
[snip]

Answers to the few I know, without looking at the rest of the thread..
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that"
Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet

[snip]
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger
[snip]
Post by Eric Jarvis
20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"
Alabama 3 - Ain't Goin' To Goa
Post by Eric Jarvis
Enjoy or ignore as you wish.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Procrastinate tomorrow!
Eric Jarvis
8'FED
2006-04-29 07:06:02 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to a broad
theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup. Two points for
the title of the song, two points for the performer, and an extra point
for how it relates to the theme. In some cases that should be extremely
obvious, in other it may well not be.
OK.
Post by Eric Jarvis
At least it should be very difficult to get no points at all.
Ummm....

There is not a single line that I recognise, but I do notice the
following themes, relevant to afp or recurring thread topics: Guns
(2), Books (3, 20), Leather (8), Alchohol (9), Megathreads (10),
Insanity (15: half relevant). Oh, and Rimbaud starts with the same
letter as Rincewind (6).

I'm posting this without having read anyone else's responses. Do I get
any points?

Adrian.
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 08:13:19 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
At least it should be very difficult to get no points at all.
Ummm....
There is not a single line that I recognise, but I do notice the
following themes, relevant to afp or recurring thread topics: Guns
(2), Books (3, 20), Leather (8), Alchohol (9), Megathreads (10),
Insanity (15: half relevant). Oh, and Rimbaud starts with the same
letter as Rincewind (6).
I'm posting this without having read anyone else's responses. Do I get
any points?
Two. :)

AS I said it should be pretty difficult to get no points at all. You'd
need to have listened to very little popular music over the last few
decades and be close to illiterate. I'm working on the basis that anyone
who can't get at least a point or two probably isn't going to find their
way to afp.
Anke
2006-04-29 12:23:47 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
AS I said it should be pretty difficult to get no points at all.
You'd need to have listened to very little popular music over
the last few decades and be close to illiterate. I'm working
on the basis that anyone who can't get at least a point or
two probably isn't going to find their way to afp.
Eh. I might have managed. I recognised none of the lines (hey,
the good thing about listening to music in a language other
than your native one is that it's easier to ignore the lyrics -
lyrics are embarrassingly stupid 99% of the time, IME),
therefore none of the musicians.
"Keats" I might have recognised as "Writer or poet or
something", but wouldn't have linked that to any theme.
Goldfinger I've heard at some point, I recognise the names
Dire Straits, Oasis, Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane
(I have "We Built this City" recorded somewhere, but I think they
might have been Jefferson Starship at that point already),
Tori Amos and (possibly) The Police, but I'm drawing nothing
but blanks on the song titles.
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
Men at Arms
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that"
5: "Please don't put your life in the hands of a rock and roll band"
both Soul Music
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Glod
Post by Eric Jarvis
19 "My hair's electrically aware"
Susan Sto Helit

Anke
Leo Breebaart
2006-04-29 13:59:20 UTC
I recognise the names Dire Straits, Oasis, Velvet Underground,
Jefferson Airplane (I have "We Built this City" recorded
somewhere, but I think they might have been Jefferson Starship
at that point already)
Worse, by that time they had gone past 'Jefferson Starship' and
were just 'Starship'. Rarely has a line in a song been so
ironically applicable as "Someone's always playing corporation
games / Who cares, they're always changing corporation names" in
'We Build This City'.

The fact that you are actually aware that J. Airplane turned into
J. Starship would've been good for at least two points if this
had been my quiz.

(If it'd been my quiz it also would've been so mainstream that
the Police would've been the *difficult* one to spot. :-))
Leo Breebaart <***@lspace.org>
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 14:21:18 UTC
Post by Leo Breebaart
I recognise the names Dire Straits, Oasis, Velvet Underground,
Jefferson Airplane (I have "We Built this City" recorded
somewhere, but I think they might have been Jefferson Starship
at that point already)
Worse, by that time they had gone past 'Jefferson Starship' and
were just 'Starship'. Rarely has a line in a song been so
ironically applicable as "Someone's always playing corporation
games / Who cares, they're always changing corporation names" in
'We Build This City'.
The fact that you are actually aware that J. Airplane turned into
J. Starship would've been good for at least two points if this
had been my quiz.
I'm with you on that one. So everybody who can't tell Jefferson Starship
from Jefferson Hangglider gets three points.
Post by Leo Breebaart
(If it'd been my quiz it also would've been so mainstream that
the Police would've been the *difficult* one to spot. :-))
Most of it is mainstream. It's just mainstream over several decades and
including some gifts for specific subcultures. There are only three really
obscure songs in there, and I know for certain that at least two of them
are known to at least some afpers.

I'm in the process of putting together a rather larger (and even more
appropriate) lyrics quiz. I'm putting a few in there specifically for the
afpfunk posse. [1] :)

[1] And some for the goths, some for the geeks, some for the old fogeys,
some for the young whippersnappers, some for Rocky, some for Pterry, and
just a few I hope will be intriguing enough lines to get people to find
out about the songs they are from.
8'FED
2006-04-29 14:51:25 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by 8'FED
I'm posting this without having read anyone else's responses. Do I get
any points?
Two. :)
For noticing that lyrics that mention the words "book" and "library"
tie into a literary theme.

Should be bonus points for lateral thinking, and my answer for (6)
should've come close. :-)

I oversaw a music quiz on afp once, but that was before your time
(not that I can remember what year you joined afp, Eric).
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.pratchett/msg/d7342352bd295570
I'm probably a wiser poster than I was in those days, but I don't
think I did anything *too* embarrassing.

Adrian.
Peter Davies
2006-04-29 15:11:13 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
AS I said it should be pretty difficult to get no points at all. You'd
need to have listened to very little popular music over the last few
decades and be close to illiterate. I'm working on the basis that anyone
who can't get at least a point or two probably isn't going to find their
way to afp.
Grr. Okay, I really did get no points at all, so here's my retaliation:

1. "Can't anybody see we've got a war to fight?"

2. "This is the time to stare at the skies in wonder."

3. "My dog needs new ears."

4. "Skinima Nosebreak, Fatima Toothpaste, Penelope Cheapskate, Claudia
Farmgate."
(heh!)

5. "I won't care for you like I'm really supposed to."

6. "I'm trying not to move, it's just your ghost passing through."

7. "I know I was born and I know that I'll die."

8. "Caught up between being a father and a prima donna..."

9. "Mascara bleeds a blackened tear."

10. "So you'll be an Austrian nobleman, commissioning a symphony in C."
(This one you either get it or you don't.)

11. "Enjoy your nightmares while you're resting your head."

12. "TV's dead, there ain't no war in my head, and you seem very
beautiful to me."

13. "You have not betrayed your ideals, your ideals betrayed you."

14. "We don't bother anyone, we keep to ourselves. The mailman visits
each of us in turn."

15. "How can you grow old, you were my triumph."

16. "Just because you feel it doesn't mean it's there."

17. "He says all the right things at exactly the right times."

18. "Don't you ever fear, I'm always there. I know that you need help."

19. "You're essentially an employee and I like you having to depend on
me."
(This song has been discussed here before, as I recall.)

20. "Now if I could just understand this, I might then try
forgiveness."
(Obligatory South African entry.)

(That was fun!)

I must say, lyrics look a whole lot better written down like this.
Stripped of most of their context, they almost look as if they could
mean something. I'm not too fond of lyrics mucking up the music I'm
trying to listen to (I'm a bit leery of poetry too) - which probably
explains why I perfomed so dismally at your quiz.

Another reason may be that I'm quite capable of forgetting my own
birthday. Still I wondered at first why I didn't at least get your Tori
Amos lyric. But that was just my own fault for giving away her last two
albums after finding them both unlistenable.

..PeterH
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-29 15:19:22 UTC
Post by Peter Davies
Post by Eric Jarvis
AS I said it should be pretty difficult to get no points
at all. You'd need to have listened to very little popular
music over the last few decades and be close to
illiterate. I'm working on the basis that anyone who can't
get at least a point or two probably isn't going to find
their way to afp.
Grr. Okay, I really did get no points at all,
Would I be right in thinking that, sans any idea what the
songs were, you didn't have a go at the theme? I'm sure you'd
have got *some* points out of that. (After all, I got six
points, and I was only able to ID one band, and no songs.)
Nope, I didn't recognise any of them. Oh, but one did ring a
very faint bell...
Post by Peter Davies
19. "You're essentially an employee and I like you having
to depend on me."
(This song has been discussed here before, as I recall.)
Ooh, is it that Alanis Morissette one that Marco worked into
the Tale?
Diane L
2006-04-29 17:28:22 UTC
Post by Peter Davies
Grr. Okay, I really did get no points at all, so here's my
I got three on Eric's (all of which had been got before), and
only one on yours.
Post by Peter Davies
8. "Caught up between being a father and a prima donna..."
Eninem, 'Lose Yourself'.

Diane L.
Stacie Hanes
2006-04-29 19:48:04 UTC
Post by Diane L
Post by Peter Davies
Grr. Okay, I really did get no points at all, so here's my
I got three on Eric's (all of which had been got before), and
only one on yours.
Mine doesn't have a theme, but I participated in an "iTunes" meme a while
back. It was fun for about 20 minutes, until someone who apparently has
identical musical tastes KILLED my quiz in one go.

Anyway, the thing was to put your player (doesn't have to be an iPod, I
shouldn't think) on shuffle and note the fist 20 songs it plays, and choose
a line from each and let people ID the songs. I had to cheat a bit, because
my shuffle threw out a lot of techno without lyrics, and even then it would
have been the all Peter Gabriel & Melissa Etheridge & Tom Lehrer quiz if I
hadn't intervened a tad.

I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.

1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough. . .

2. Here comes Yog-sothoth, here comes Yog-sothoth, quick let's try
to hide . . .

3. Something in me, dark and sticky, all the time it's getting
strong , no way of dealing with this feeling . . .

4. Find the one who'll guide you to the limits of your choice . . .

5. Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize-only be sure always to call it
please 'research' . . .

6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .

7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with
Jane . . .

8. After my picture fades and darkness has turned to gray . . .

9. You said you had that dream last night, of a stranger in your
room . . .

10. Come, my love, I'll tell you a tale of a boy and girl and their
love story . . .

11. Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye, remember
me, once in a while . . .

12. I want it more than truth, I can taste it on my breath-I would
give my life just for a little death . . .

13. I love myself; I want you to love me, When I'm feelin' down . . .

14. Every day the bucket a-go a well, One day the bottom a-go drop
out, . . .

15. My spirit's sleeping somewhere cold, until you find it there and
lead it back home . . .

16. We had this dream locked behind these wicked thoughts, you and I,
we felt pain . . .

17. You and me we were the pretenders, we let it all slip away; in the
end what you don't surrender, well, the world just strips away . . .

18. September '77, Port Elizabeth weather fine; It was business as
usual in police room 619 . . .

19. Every finger in the room is pointing at me; I wanna spit in their
faces , then I get afraid . . .

20. Fred, come into my bed; if you don't I will call up Fritz . . .
Brian Howlett
2006-04-29 20:21:34 UTC
On 29 Apr, Stacie Hanes wrote:

[snip]
Post by Stacie Hanes
I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.
1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough. . .
(Take Another Little) Piece of my Heart - Erma Franklin (lots of other
people have covered it, but I believe this one is the best...)
[snip]
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
Lots of people have covered this as well - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (or
"Wimoweh")
Post by Stacie Hanes
7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with
Jane . . .
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers

[snip]

Dunno the rest, and refuse to Google in a quiz <sits back all smug>
even though I've only recognised three of them...
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Isn't it strange that the same people that laugh at gypsy fortune
tellers take economists seriously?
Stacie Hanes
2006-04-29 20:24:46 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
[snip]
Post by Stacie Hanes
I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.
1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough. . .
(Take Another Little) Piece of my Heart - Erma Franklin (lots of
other people have covered it, but I believe this one is the best...)
Well, mine's Melissa Etheridge.
Post by Brian Howlett
[snip]
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps
tonight; in the jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
Lots of people have covered this as well - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
(or "Wimoweh")
The Tokens, in this case.
Post by Brian Howlett
Post by Stacie Hanes
7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte
plays with Jane . . .
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
[snip]
Dunno the rest, and refuse to Google in a quiz <sits back all smug>
even though I've only recognised three of them...
Yes, to Google is to cheat.

Good on yer!
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 23:17:34 UTC
Post by Brian Howlett
[snip]
Post by Stacie Hanes
I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.
1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough. . .
(Take Another Little) Piece of my Heart - Erma Franklin (lots of other
people have covered it, but I believe this one is the best...)
The Janis Joplin version is the classic, though I agree not the best.
Post by Brian Howlett
[snip]
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
Lots of people have covered this as well - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (or
"Wimoweh")
The best version of this is by Jowe Head (FSVO best [1])

[1] The ones that equate "best" with the most determined effort to refuse
to have any truck with anything that might be justifiably termed sanity.
--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
and all we end up getting is spin
Lizzie
2006-04-29 20:25:50 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.
Weeell, I will have one, but this was the first list were I actually
recognised a line!
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
"In the Jungle", but someone I do not remember the name of who didn't
get as much credit as was deserved when Disney used it in the
'Lionking'
Post by Stacie Hanes
11. Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye, remember
me, once in a while . . .
'Think of me' from 'Phantom of the Opera' lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber
and possibly Tim Rice, not too sure about that, though

wow, look at that! two lines! I am almost good at this...

//Stina
Diane L
2006-04-29 20:38:44 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough. . .
'Take another little piece of my heart' by all sorts of people, none
of whom I can remember at the moment.
Post by Stacie Hanes
5. Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize-only be sure always to
call it please 'research' . . .
'Lobachevsky', by Tom Lehrer.
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight;
in the jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
'Wimoweh', which is probably not spelled like that. By somebody.
Post by Stacie Hanes
7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte
plays with Jane . . .
'Games without frontiers' by Peter Gabriel.
Post by Stacie Hanes
8. After my picture fades and darkness has turned to gray . . .
'Time after time' by Cyndi Lauper.

That's it for me. :-)

Diane L.
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-29 20:46:52 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion
sleeps tonight; in the jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
'Wimoweh', which is probably not spelled like that. By
somebody.
Your spelling of "Wimoweh" is vastly superior to my spelling
of "Lobachevsky". And the annoying this is, "Too Many Songs"
is in the other room, but I couldn't be bothered moving...
Ross
2006-04-29 23:30:50 UTC
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:38:44 +0100, Diane L wrote in
[...]
Post by Diane L
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight;
in the jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
'Wimoweh', which is probably not spelled like that. By somebody.
By all sorts of people, including on one occasion (probably now
infamous in school history) myself and a gaggle of other schoolmates
whilst in a Ford Transit minibus heading through Shrewsbury towards
Welsh Wales, sandwiched in between rather OTT renditions of the 'Birdy
Song' and '9 Million Green Bottles' (we didn't finish that one). Oh,
and 'One Man and his supersonic sausage dog called Sid [went to mow a
meadow]'.

We didn't have Startrekkin' to mutilate back then, which can only have
been a good thing.
--
Ross, in Lincoln, most likely being cynical or sarcastic, as ever.
Reply-to will bounce. Replace the junk-trap with my name to e-mail me.

Demonstration of poor photography: <http://www.rosspix.me.uk> - updated with Czech photos
AD: <http://www.merciacharters.co.uk> for European charters occasionally gripped by me
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-29 20:44:54 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be
tough. . .
Take another little peoce of my heart
Post by Stacie Hanes
5. Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize-only be sure
always to call it please 'research' . . .
Leibowski, by Lehrer
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion
sleeps tonight; in the jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
The Lion Sleeps Tonight
esmi
2006-04-29 21:06:05 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
I had to cheat a bit, because
my shuffle threw out a lot of techno without lyrics, and even then it would
have been the all Peter Gabriel & Melissa Etheridge & Tom Lehrer quiz if I
hadn't intervened a tad.
And after that last line, I had to see if you had a second Peter Gabriel
track in there...
Post by Stacie Hanes
18. September '77, Port Elizabeth weather fine; It was business as
usual in police room 619 . . .
Biko

One of my absolute favourites.

esmi
Stacie Hanes
2006-04-29 21:20:42 UTC
Post by esmi
Post by Stacie Hanes
18. September '77, Port Elizabeth weather fine; It was
business as usual in police room 619 . . .
Biko
One of my absolute favourites.
It's a ****ing awesome song, and I do NOT toss the word "awesome" around
casually.

Have you read the book?
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 23:26:01 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by esmi
Post by Stacie Hanes
18. September '77, Port Elizabeth weather fine; It was
business as usual in police room 619 . . .
Biko
One of my absolute favourites.
It's a ****ing awesome song, and I do NOT toss the word "awesome" around
casually.
Inspirational. On several levels. I used to help some South African
friends put together cassette tapes labelled as having various
inconsequential pop songs on them, but which in fact included Biko, Free
Nelson Mandela, and various other banned songs on them. So Biko was being
passed around to motivate people in SA. It was also the song that made me
realise it was possible for a white British person to make music in an
African style.
Stacie Hanes
2006-04-30 00:22:35 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by esmi
Post by Stacie Hanes
18. September '77, Port Elizabeth weather fine; It was
business as usual in police room 619 . . .
Biko
One of my absolute favourites.
It's a ****ing awesome song, and I do NOT toss the word "awesome"
around casually.
Inspirational. On several levels. I used to help some South African
friends put together cassette tapes labelled as having various
inconsequential pop songs on them, but which in fact included Biko,
Free Nelson Mandela, and various other banned songs on them. So
Biko was being passed around to motivate people in SA. It was also
the song that made me realise it was possible for a white British
person to make music in an African style.
Peter Gabriel is just incredible. The man is one of my heroes.

He's so creative I find it mindblowing--he headed first-rate rock band and
went on to a brilliant solo singing career, but he's got his hand into so
much...

I've seen a video about the making of the videos of Kiss That Frog and Blood
of Eden, among others; he's realy into multimedia, multi-modal (sorry,
composition buzzword) compositions.

I find his lyrics in many cases simply stunning--Come Talk to Me is a
favorite. In Your Eyes is a great song, IMO.

And he works with so many different artists in so many capacities: Brian
Eno, loads of others.

And computer games . . .weird, non-linear games like "XPLORA1" and "Eve."

WOMAD

And there's this program he started called Witness . . . they give out video
cameras around the world so that human rights abuses can be documented

I've seen him in concert a couple of times. Last time, about 2 years ago in
Cleveland, his daughter backed him on stage. It was great. Second row!
esmi
2006-05-01 22:17:41 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by esmi
Biko
One of my absolute favourites.
It's a ****ing awesome song, and I do NOT toss the word "awesome" around
casually.
Have you read the book?
No - though I'm familiar with the details of the case. Is that a
recommendation?

esmi
Stacie Hanes
2006-05-02 14:08:08 UTC
Post by esmi
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by esmi
Biko
One of my absolute favourites.
It's a ****ing awesome song, and I do NOT toss the word "awesome"
around casually.
Have you read the book?
No - though I'm familiar with the details of the case. Is that a
recommendation?
Yeah, and the movie with Kevin Kline as the journalist is prety good, too.
CCA
2006-04-29 23:00:34 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
1. I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough. . .
'Piece of My Heart'. Can't remember the original singer (although I
did know it). Also by Beverley Knight
Post by Stacie Hanes
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' Tight Fit
Post by Stacie Hanes
7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with
Jane . . .
Peter Gabriel, er... 'Games Without Frontiers'. No, that's not the
real title, is it...

CCA
Stacie Hanes
The Stainless Steel Cat
2006-04-30 09:45:41 UTC
Post by CCA
Post by Stacie Hanes
7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with
Jane . . .
"Jane plays with Willie, Willie is happy again."
As, I imagine, is Jane.
Post by CCA
Peter Gabriel, er... 'Games Without Frontiers'. No, that's not the
real title, is it...
Oh, yes it is!

One of my favourite songs, much as Jeux Sans Frontieres was one of my
favourite TV programmes. Didn't care so much for It's a Knockout! though.

Hmmm, Royal It's A Knockout killed the concept (of both the programme and
the Royal Family) stone dead, but Royal Jeux Sans Frontieres would have
been good...

"And the teams have to make their way up the waterslide to the castle and
rescue the princess... There's Princess Madelaine of Sweden... is she
wearing that dress? No, those are basketballs, and she's throwing them at
the Italian team... they've fallen! And the've crashed into the Dutch team!
Ha ha ha ha ha..."

Cat.
--
Jazz-Loving Soul Mate and Tolerable Frog to CCA
"Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..."
Italian Giant who can't get up...
Torak
2006-04-30 11:06:03 UTC
Post by The Stainless Steel Cat
Post by Stacie Hanes
7. Jeux sans frontiers . . . Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with
Jane . . .
"Jane plays with Willie, Willie is happy again."
As, I imagine, is Jane.
And, presumably, Willie's owner.

/me hangs head in shame and apologises profusely.

Sorry. I grew up in a school where BMW jokes were considered the height
of comedy.
Stacie Hanes
2006-05-01 00:24:52 UTC
Post by The Stainless Steel Cat
"And the teams have to make their way up the waterslide to the
castle and rescue the princess... There's Princess Madelaine of
Sweden... is she wearing that dress? No, those are basketballs, and
she's throwing them at the Italian team... they've fallen! And
the've crashed into the Dutch team! Ha ha ha ha ha..."
<yowls of helpless laughter>
Peter Davies
2006-04-29 23:53:15 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
Yay! I think we all got this one!
Post by Stacie Hanes
11. Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye, remember
me, once in a while . . .
My ex-girlfriend's parents bought me a ticket to Phantom when it was on
in Pretoria. Unfortunately, when I lost the girlfriend, I also lost the
ticket...
Post by Stacie Hanes
13. I love myself; I want you to love me, When I'm feelin' down . . .
The ... Divinals? "I touch myself".
Post by Stacie Hanes
19. Every finger in the room is pointing at me; I wanna spit in their
faces , then I get afraid . . .
Tori Amos - Crucify.

..PeterH
Matthew Seaman
2006-04-30 09:46:04 UTC
Post by Peter Davies
Post by Stacie Hanes
I don't imagine afp will have a huge challenge in this, but it might be fun.
6. In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight; in the
jungle, the quiet jungle . . .
Yay! I think we all got this one!
I don't think any one has come up with the name of the original author
yet -- the one whose family was recently awarded the rights and a fat
paycheck which he never saw in life. Although it is based on a
translation of a song by that well known chappie 'Trad., Zulu', one
member of that extremely prolific Trad. family who seem to have been
making music just forever.

Cheers,

Matthew
Kent, CT11 9PW
T.M. Sommers
2006-04-30 07:51:43 UTC
Stacie Hanes wrote:

Plagiarize,
Don't let any other's work evade your eyes,
So don't shade your eyes,
Thomas M. Sommers -- ***@nj.net -- AB2SB
NiceOrc
2006-04-30 13:14:41 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by Stacie Hanes
10. Come, my love, I'll tell you a tale of a boy and girl and their
love story . . .
I haven't seen anyone get this one yet. Mark Knopfler, Storybook Love.

NiceOrc
CCA
2006-04-29 19:44:49 UTC
Post by Peter Davies
4. "Skinima Nosebreak, Fatima Toothpaste, Penelope Cheapskate, Claudia
Farmgate."
(heh!)
"Now the line forms round the corner, now that Mac Heath's back in
town!"

Okay, I know it's not that... *g*
CCA
Arthur Hagen
2006-05-02 11:50:32 UTC
Post by Peter Davies
Grr. Okay, I really did get no points at all, so here's my
I have no idea, as I don't listen to lyrics, so I'll just make wild guesses,
or who I think *should* have penned it, ok?
Post by Peter Davies
1. "Can't anybody see we've got a war to fight?"
The Clash
Post by Peter Davies
2. "This is the time to stare at the skies in wonder."
Jon Anderson
Post by Peter Davies
3. "My dog needs new ears."
J.J. Cale
Post by Peter Davies
4. "Skinima Nosebreak, Fatima Toothpaste, Penelope Cheapskate, Claudia
Farmgate."
(heh!)
Right Said Fred
Post by Peter Davies
5. "I won't care for you like I'm really supposed to."
Courtney Love
Post by Peter Davies
6. "I'm trying not to move, it's just your ghost passing through."
Siouxie and the Banshees.
Post by Peter Davies
7. "I know I was born and I know that I'll die."
Lemmy Kilmister
Post by Peter Davies
8. "Caught up between being a father and a prima donna..."
Liza Minelli
Post by Peter Davies
9. "Mascara bleeds a blackened tear."
Marillion.
Post by Peter Davies
10. "So you'll be an Austrian nobleman, commissioning a symphony in
C." (This one you either get it or you don't.)
Electric Light Orchestra
Post by Peter Davies
11. "Enjoy your nightmares while you're resting your head."
Metallica
Post by Peter Davies
12. "TV's dead, there ain't no war in my head, and you seem very
beautiful to me."
Roger Waters
Post by Peter Davies
13. "You have not betrayed your ideals, your ideals betrayed you."
Kinks
Post by Peter Davies
14. "We don't bother anyone, we keep to ourselves. The mailman visits
each of us in turn."
Pointer Sisters.
Post by Peter Davies
15. "How can you grow old, you were my triumph."
Neil Young
Post by Peter Davies
16. "Just because you feel it doesn't mean it's there."
Freddy Mercury
Post by Peter Davies
17. "He says all the right things at exactly the right times."
Britney Spears
Post by Peter Davies
18. "Don't you ever fear, I'm always there. I know that you need help."
Louis XIV
Post by Peter Davies
19. "You're essentially an employee and I like you having to depend on
me."
Blue Man Band
Post by Peter Davies
20. "Now if I could just understand this, I might then try
forgiveness."
Miriam Makeba

The funny thing is that I think I got one of them right, without having
heard the song.

Regards,
*Art
Rocky Frisco
2006-05-03 04:26:33 UTC
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
Grr. Okay, I really did get no points at all, so here's my
3. "My dog needs new ears."
J.J. Cale
Oops, sorry, but not correct. I'm pretty sure 'cause I'm the piano guy
with the Cale Band and I never heard this one. Google says it's "Utopia."

-Rocky
O'Toole's Corollary: Murphy was an optimist.
Peter Davies
2006-05-03 07:30:58 UTC
It all started on Tue, 02 May 2006 07:50:32 -0400, when Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
1. "Can't anybody see we've got a war to fight?"
The Clash
Er, Portishead.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
2. "This is the time to stare at the skies in wonder."
Jon Anderson
No. Doves.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
3. "My dog needs new ears."
J.J. Cale
Uh... no. Goldfrapp.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
4. "Skinima Nosebreak, Fatima Toothpaste, Penelope Cheapskate, Claudia
Farmgate."
(heh!)
Right Said Fred
Very nearly! A defunct Brit glam-goth band called Mansun.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
5. "I won't care for you like I'm really supposed to."
Courtney Love
This is from a song by some Danish people who call themselves Mew. Not
only are they not bad at all, but their portraits on the album artwork
look suitably Viking-ish.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
6. "I'm trying not to move, it's just your ghost passing through."
Siouxie and the Banshees.
Tori Amos.

Another close one.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
7. "I know I was born and I know that I'll die."
Lemmy Kilmister
Who?

(Pearl Jam.)
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
8. "Caught up between being a father and a prima donna..."
Liza Minelli
Er... no.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
9. "Mascara bleeds a blackened tear."
Marillion.
Franz Ferdinand!
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
10. "So you'll be an Austrian nobleman, commissioning a symphony in C."
(This one you either get it or you don't.)
Electric Light Orchestra
Nope.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
11. "Enjoy your nightmares while you're resting your head."
Metallica
Way off.

Basement Jaxx!
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
12. "TV's dead, there ain't no war in my head, and you seem very
beautiful to me."
Roger Waters
Blur. Damon Albarn if you must.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
13. "You have not betrayed your ideals, your ideals betrayed you."
Kinks
Um... probably not. It could be anyone, to tell the truth: I've only heard
it as sampled by DJ Shadow on Endtroducing.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
14. "We don't bother anyone, we keep to ourselves. The mailman visits
each of us in turn."
Pointer Sisters.
Live.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
15. "How can you grow old, you were my triumph."
Neil Young
The Delays.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
16. "Just because you feel it doesn't mean it's there."
Freddy Mercury
Thom Yorke!

(Radiohead.)
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
17. "He says all the right things at exactly the right times."
Britney Spears
Um... Vertical Horizon.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
18. "Don't you ever fear, I'm always there. I know that you need help."
Louis XIV
Weezer - Buddy Holly.
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
20. "Now if I could just understand this, I might then try forgiveness."
Miriam Makeba
Well, you've got the gender right at least.
Post by Arthur Hagen
The funny thing is that I think I got one of them right, without having
heard the song.
Yeah, you go, buddy :)

..PeterH
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-05-03 10:55:33 UTC
Post by Peter Davies
13. "You have not betrayed your ideals, your ideals
betrayed you."
Kinks
I've only heard it as sampled by DJ Shadow on Endtroducing.
A quick google suggests that this is the only place *anyone*'s
heard it.
Eric Jarvis
2006-05-03 11:31:48 UTC
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
7. "I know I was born and I know that I'll die."
Lemmy Kilmister
Who?
Ian Kilminster was somebody who originally hung out with Hawkwind in the
early days of the band. He allegedly got the nick name "Lemmy" from the
phrase "lemmy (lend me) a quid". He joined the band as bass guitarist
after some years, and then left to form Motorhead.
Arthur Hagen
2006-05-03 12:37:41 UTC
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
7. "I know I was born and I know that I'll die."
Lemmy Kilmister
Who?
(Pearl Jam.)
Lemmy Kilmister is the lead of Motorhead (add umlauts where not needed). He
grew up in Cardiff, IIRC, which explains a lot.

Example lyrics:
"You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I
like it, baby, I don't want to live forever".
Post by Peter Davies
Post by Arthur Hagen
Post by Peter Davies
9. "Mascara bleeds a blackened tear."
Marillion.
Franz Ferdinand!
Damn. The only one I thought I had pegged down to Fish without having heard
it.

Example lyrics:
"I felt barbed wire kisses and icicle tears"
Post by Peter Davies
Yeah, you go, buddy :)
Well, 0 out of 10 isn't *that* bad, is it? For someone who listens to music
and reads lyrics and never "get" the combination?

Regards,
*Art
Petri Holopainen
2006-04-29 09:04:02 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to
a broad theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup.
15 "This world is big and wild and half insane"
"Animal Farm" - The Kinks. It's the only song I knew right away, but
it's one of my favourites from them. And since the theme is writers,
it's George Orwell.

Petri
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 11:20:04 UTC
Post by Petri Holopainen
Post by Eric Jarvis
Here are twenty lines from songs. In each case there is a link to
a broad theme that is appropriate (in theory) to this newsgroup.
15 "This world is big and wild and half insane"
"Animal Farm" - The Kinks. It's the only song I knew right away, but
it's one of my favourites from them. And since the theme is writers,
it's George Orwell.
Well spotted. One of my favourites too.
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 13:31:35 UTC
The story so far (and who spotted each bit of the answer).

1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan died"

Refers to Brendan Behan (Louise Mac Mahon)

2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"

3: "That book by Nabakov"

The Police, "Don't Stand So Close To Me" (CCA) Refers to Vladimir Nabakov
(Louise Mac Mahon)

4: "You shouldn’t come around here singing up at people like that"

Dire Straits 'Romeo and Juliet' (CCA) Refers to Shakespeare's play
(Louise Mac Mahon)

5: "Please don’t put your life in the hands of a rock and roll band"

Oasis "Don't Look Back In Anger" (CCA) Refers to John Osborne's play
(Daibhid Ceanaideach)

6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"

Refers to Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud (Louise Mac Mahon)

7: "Only time will tell if you can break the spell"

Shakespeare's Sister (Daibhid Ceanaideach) "Stay" (Orjan Westin) Refers to
Shakespeare (Daibhid Ceanaideach)

8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"

"Venus In Furs" - Velvet Underground. Refers to the book by Leopold von
Sacher-Masoch (Nigel Stapley)

9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats"

Refers to John Keats (Louise Mac Mahon)

10: "When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead"

"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane (Nigel Stapley) Refers to Alice in
Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (ES)

11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"

Refers to Harlan Ellison (Daibhid Ceanaideach)

12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"

Shirley Bassey, 'Goldfinger'. (CCA) Refers to the book by Ian Fleming
(Nigel Stapley)

13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"

14 "Just another lost journey where everything’s turning away"

15 "This world is big and wild and half insane"

"Animal Farm" - The Kinks Refers to the book by George Orwell (Petri
Holopainen)

16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"

Tori Amos (Orjan Westin)

17 "I’m not fit to even tune your guitar"

18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"

19 "My hair's electrically aware"

"Steppenwolf" by Hawkwind Refers to the book by Herman Hesse (Nigel
Stapley)

20 "Ain't no call for Casteneda in my frontline library"

Alabama 3 - "Ain't Goin' To Goa" (Brian Howlett) Refers to Carlos
Castaneda (Louise Mac Mahon)

So. As yet unsullied.

13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"

14 "Just another lost journey where everything’s turning away"

17 "I’m not fit to even tune your guitar"

18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"

And still incomplete

1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan died" (still
needs song and title) hint, it's not actually Irish

6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud" (still needs song and title)
I'm certain at least one afper will know this instantly

9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats" (still needs song and
title) hint, mid 1980s and Scottish

11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming" (still needs song
and title) hint, I don't expect anyone to get this, I don't even have a
copy, however lateral thinking might lead to it without the use of a
search engine

16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come" (needs song title and
reference)

So that's 11 out of twenty already done.

In the itchy trigger finger stakes, CCA was first to post 16 points worth
of answers, narrowly ahead of Nigel Stapley's 15. After that we have
Louise MacMahon 6, Daibhid Ceanaideach and Petri Holopainen 5 each, Orjan
Westin and Brian Howlett 4 each, and ES with 1.

That gives a huge lead to Wales in the afpovision song contest with 39
points still to go.
E.S.
2006-04-29 19:15:35 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
In the itchy trigger finger stakes, CCA was first to post 16 points worth
of answers, narrowly ahead of Nigel Stapley's 15. After that we have
Louise MacMahon 6, Daibhid Ceanaideach and Petri Holopainen 5 each, Orjan
Westin and Brian Howlett 4 each, and ES with 1.
That gives a huge lead to Wales in the afpovision song contest with 39
points still to go.
It's got to be a curse.
Finland always comes last...
Anke
2006-04-29 19:30:45 UTC
I don't know my music, but I have an inkling of how to use
google...

Well, more interesting that staring at the lines and
recognising nothing.
I *like* quizzes.
Post by Eric Jarvis
1: "He swears that he was there the day that Brendan Behan died"
Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "All Things Considered"
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
The Cure, "Killing an Arab"
Post by Eric Jarvis
6: "Mine've been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud"
Bob Dylan, "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"
Post by Eric Jarvis
9: "Bottle merchants both of us, overdosed on Keats"
Aztec Camera, "Release"
Post by Eric Jarvis
11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"
Wow, one whole hit on google...
The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, "Harlan"
Post by Eric Jarvis
13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"
King Crimson, "Starless and Bible Black"

Also on that album is a song titled "The Night Watch"...
Post by Eric Jarvis
14 "Just another lost journey where everything's turning away"
Soul Asylum, "Gullible's Travels"
Reference to Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift.
Post by Eric Jarvis
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
Tori Amos (Orjan Westin)
"Jamaica Inn"
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I'm not fit to even tune your guitar"
The Boo Radleys, "Jimmy Webb is God"
Post by Eric Jarvis
18 "Goes to show that you can't come and go as you please"
Warren Zevon, "Lord Byron's Luggage"

*removed most references grabbed from Wikipedia again*

Anke
Brian Howlett
2006-04-29 20:12:28 UTC
On 29 Apr, Anke wrote:

[snip]
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"
King Crimson, "Starless and Bible Black"
[snip]

"Starless and Bible Black" is, of course, a quote from Dylan Thomas'
"Under Milk Wood".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/dylanthomas/bibliography/pages/under_milk_wood.shtml
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
"Are you the Prime Minister?" "No, but I've often been mistaken."
"What, for the Prime Minister?" "No. I've just often been mistaken..."
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 20:21:10 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
The Cure, "Killing an Arab"
Still needs the literary reference. It shouldn't be too hard, it's a very
famous book.
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
11: "So now I've got no mouth but I'm still screaming"
Wow, one whole hit on google...
The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, "Harlan"
I'd have been impressed if anyone had got that without either using Google
or following the links of my site.
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"
King Crimson, "Starless and Bible Black"
We still need the literary reference. This is going to be another point
for Wales isn't it?
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
Tori Amos (Orjan Westin)
"Jamaica Inn"
Needs the literary reference completing.
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I'm not fit to even tune your guitar"
The Boo Radleys, "Jimmy Webb is God"
Also needs the literary reference. Everybody should get this, the book
should be required reading for anyone with a soul.
Stacie Hanes
2006-04-29 21:09:18 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
2: "I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun"
The Cure, "Killing an Arab"
Still needs the literary reference. It shouldn't be too hard, it's
a very famous book.
The Stranger
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I'm not fit to even tune your guitar"
The Boo Radleys, "Jimmy Webb is God"
Also needs the literary reference. Everybody should get this, the
book should be required reading for anyone with a soul.
To Kill A Mockingbird
Eric Jarvis
2006-04-29 23:27:32 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I'm not fit to even tune your guitar"
The Boo Radleys, "Jimmy Webb is God"
Also needs the literary reference. Everybody should get this, the
book should be required reading for anyone with a soul.
To Kill A Mockingbird
Thanks. I'd have been very disappointed if nobody had been able to get
those.
Peter Ellis
2006-04-30 09:28:34 UTC
Post by Stacie Hanes
Post by Eric Jarvis
Also needs the literary reference. Everybody should get this, the
book should be required reading for anyone with a soul.
To Kill A Mockingbird
I must have read that book 50 or so times.

By my calculation, that's Mockingbird x 10^5.

Peter
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-29 21:27:54 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
16 "I wake up to find the pirates have come"
Tori Amos (Orjan Westin)
"Jamaica Inn"
Needs the literary reference completing.
Was it the title of a Daphne DuMariar novel?
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I'm not fit to even tune your guitar"
The Boo Radleys, "Jimmy Webb is God"
Also needs the literary reference. Everybody should get
this, the book should be required reading for anyone with a
soul.
To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee.
Eric Jarvis
Hendrik Schober
2006-04-29 22:39:39 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
[...]
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
17 "I'm not fit to even tune your guitar"
The Boo Radleys, "Jimmy Webb is God"
Also needs the literary reference. Everybody should get this, the book
should be required reading for anyone with a soul.
Um, we don't all approve of the concept of "soul". <g>

Schobi
--
***@gmx.de is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org

"The sarcasm is mightier than the sword."
Eric Jarvis
Petri Holopainen
2006-04-30 09:58:05 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
Post by Anke
Post by Eric Jarvis
13: "And the smile signals emptiness, for me"
King Crimson, "Starless and Bible Black"
We still need the literary reference. This is going to be another point
for Wales isn't it?
But "Starless and Bible Black" is an instrumental, while those lyrics
are from "Starless" from album "Red", and that song does have the
chorus "Starless and Bible Black". I had to look that up in Google,
because I haven't got "Red" myself but I did remember, and listened
before posting in haste, that "Starless and Bible Black" is an
instrumental.

As for literary links I had no idea about Dylan Thomas, but I
remembered that The Crimson King has appeared in Stephen King's
books as a villainous character, and since the writers that you were
seeking were all such revered high calibre literary greats, well I
thought that Stephen King just fits like a glove (1) in that company.

(1) Well, a bloodied glove...with a decaying hand inside...that keeps
giving the finger.

Petri
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-29 23:29:41 UTC
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.

1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.

2. And the White House burned, burned, burned, and we're the
ones who did it.

3. There was a farmer in the west, and there he chose his
ground.

4. He said the party’s over, please come back in a thousand
years.

5. But don’t forget it’s me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
8'FED
2006-04-29 23:38:05 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.
I thought it was "drinking fresh mango juice" ?

Adrian.
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-29 23:42:23 UTC
Post by 8'FED
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh
mango fruit.
I thought it was "drinking fresh mango juice" ?
Yes. It is.

"Never post lyric quizzes after midnight" should definitely go
in my rule book. Right after "Never post after midnight"...
Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
2006-04-30 00:30:49 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
2. And the White House burned, burned, burned, and we're the
ones who did it.
Ooh! I know this one: "The War of 1812" by Three Dead Trolls in a
Baggie. No idea on the rest (or the theme), though.
--
ilmari
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
Daibhid Ceanaideach
Diane L
2006-04-30 10:34:34 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.
Theme from Red Dwarf (does it have another name?) Claire Grogan.
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
2. And the White House burned, burned, burned, and we're the
ones who did it.
3. There was a farmer in the west, and there he chose his
ground.
4. He said the party’s over, please come back in a thousand
years.
5. But don’t forget it’s me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
'Don't you want me' by the Human League.

Diane L. (continuing my record of only getting the easy ones)
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-30 17:09:27 UTC
Post by Diane L
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh
mango fruit.
Theme from Red Dwarf (does it have another name?) Claire
Grogan.
Right song, wrong singer.
Post by Diane L
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
5. But don’t forget it’s me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
'Don't you want me' by the Human League.
Yup.
Lister
2006-04-30 22:12:27 UTC
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:34:34 +0100, "Diane L"
Post by Diane L
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.
Theme from Red Dwarf (does it have another name?) Claire Grogan.
Right song, wrong person. I'd tell you who sang the song but it's
late right now and I can't check
CCA
2006-04-30 11:01:51 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.
Theme from 'Red Dwarf'
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
5. But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
'Don't You Want Me Baby' The Human League

Not sure of the theme...
CCA
Andrew Nevill
2006-04-30 17:11:40 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.
Red Dwarf theme tune
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
2. And the White House burned, burned, burned, and we're the
ones who did it.
War of 1812 -3 Dead Trolls
.
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
5. But don’t forget it’s me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
Don't You Want Me - Human League

Theme: Discworld races
--
Andrew Nevill B.F. D.W. FdV. Reply address: ***@btopenworld.com
AFPWorshipper to Spooky, AFPfiance to Sarah (Nanny Ogg) & S*****
Hotel, Hinckley, UK www.dwcon.org
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-04-30 17:45:17 UTC
On 29 Apr 2006 23:29:41 GMT, Daibhid Ceanaideach
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh
mango fruit.
Red Dwarf theme tune
Check.
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
2. And the White House burned, burned, burned, and we're
the ones who did it.
War of 1812 -3 Dead Trolls
Check.
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
5. But don’t forget it’s me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
Don't You Want Me - Human League
Check.
Theme: Discworld races
Ladies and gennelmen, we have a winner!
Andrew Nevill
2006-05-01 13:46:00 UTC
Post by Andrew Nevill
Theme: Discworld races
Ladies and gennelmen, we have a winner!
Daibhid. Fetch my trophy!
Daibhid Ceanaideach
2006-05-01 14:03:56 UTC
On 30 Apr 2006 17:45:17 GMT, Daibhid Ceanaideach
Post by Andrew Nevill
Theme: Discworld races
Ladies and gennelmen, we have a winner!
Daibhid. Fetch my trophy!
8-). ASCII and you shall retrieve.
______
(______)
//| |\\
|| |Andrew| ||
|| | 1st | ||
\\| |//
\____/
/__\

Second prize still open. Anyone who already got two of the
songs (Diane and CCA) can win it by IDing *one* of two
remaining. In order to keep things interesting, anyone else
can get it by naming both of them...

Diane L
2006-05-01 14:50:40 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Second prize still open. Anyone who already got two of the
songs (Diane and CCA) can win it by IDing *one* of two
remaining. In order to keep things interesting, anyone else
can get it by naming both of them...
I'm afraid I'm ineligible now, since I went and googled for
them last night. I can't help feeling I should have got the
<snip reference to primates> one on my own.

Diane L.
Louise Mac Mahon
2006-05-01 22:11:56 UTC
On 29 Apr 2006 23:29:41 GMT, Daibhid Ceanaideach
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
Okay, my go. And this one does have a (probably pretty
obvious) theme.
1. I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose, eating fresh mango
fruit.
Red Dwarf theme tune
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
2. And the White House burned, burned, burned, and we're the
ones who did it.
War of 1812 -3 Dead Trolls
.
Post by Daibhid Ceanaideach
5. But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
Don't You Want Me - Human League
Theme: Discworld races
--
You are so smart, you are so smart, SMTR I mean SMART..
Bloody obvious, *now*
feeling dim, but also nice
Andrew Nevill
2006-05-02 17:37:58 UTC
On Mon, 1 May 2006 23:11:56 +0100, "Louise Mac Mahon"
Post by Louise Mac Mahon
Post by Andrew Nevill
Theme: Discworld races
--
You are so smart, you are so smart, SMTR I mean SMART..
Bloody obvious, *now*
Louise
feeling dim, but also nice
Nope. Not *that* smart. I didn't know 2 of the songs after all
And generally, I've only been able to get 1 or 2 out of all the quizzes.

But thanks for the compliment.
--
Andrew Nevill B.F. D.W. FdV. Reply address: ***@btopenworld.com
AFPWorshipper to Spooky, AFPfiance to Sarah (Nanny Ogg) & S*****
AFPUncle to James Vaughan. You cannot value friends as pennies,
nor can you replace them as easily (Spooky in email, Aug 2001.)
Discworld Convention 2006. 18 - 26 Aug 2006 Hinckley Island Hotel
Hinckley, UK www.dwcon.org
graham
2006-05-01 23:29:15 UTC
Post by Eric Jarvis
4: "You shouldn’t come around here singing up at people like that"
Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits
Post by Eric Jarvis
8: "Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather"
Venus in Furs by Velvet Underground
Post by Eric Jarvis
12: "He's the man, the man with Midas touch"
Goldfinger sung by that Burley Chassis woman ;-)

Cheers,
Graham.