New Wodehouse Society Subchapter: The Drones Guild
Jean
2003-07-25 14:59:42 UTC
What ho and other appropriate greetings,

This is to let you all know that at the upcoming biennial convention
of The Wodehouse Society (USA) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (8-11
August 2003) a new subchapter will be formed. This group is to be
comprised of people who are devoted to the writings of both P. G.
Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett and will be called The Drones Guild. Our
proposed official "secret" greeting is "Oh, I say, the turtle moves,
what?". I haven't yet thought of a counter-sign, but perhaps we can
discuss this at our first meeting. As to when and where this will be,
I haven't the foggiest. Well, Toronto, naturally, but like all things
Wodehousean, this subchapter will function with the absolute minimum
of organization. Therefore, I think it likely we shall more or less
spontaneously gather together at the Friday night cocktail reception.
Anyone attending the convention who is interested in joining The
Drones Guild may approach Kris Fowler, Elin Woodger Murphy, Norman
Murphy or myself and give the official "secret" greeting. They will
probably then be bought a drink and engaged in fascinating
conversation in re the delights of Mr. Pratchett's books from the
point of view of the Wodehouse fan (or vice versa). As for what the
future holds, it depends on the response we get. We may end up being a
very active subchapter like The Clients of Adrian Mulliner (Sherlock
Holmes-Wodehouse crossover group) or we may disappear into the mists
of time like The Survivors of Pipers Fort (Flashman-Wodehouse
crossover group). Only time will tell.

Mr. P., if you would care to post an official greeting (or an official
"I really wish you wouldn't", for that matter) I would be honored
beyond words to pass it along to the membership of this new society
formed in appreciation of your work.

Yours ever,
Pighooey
at mindspring dot com, really.
Alec Cawley
2003-07-25 17:00:52 UTC
Post by Jean
Our
proposed official "secret" greeting is "Oh, I say, the turtle moves,
what?". I haven't yet thought of a counter-sign,
"Spiffing! Can you hit it with a bread roll?"
--
@lec ©awley
Knig fo teh tyops
Brad Sondahl
2003-07-26 15:32:13 UTC
I'm not a joiner, more than ng's, but the sentiment is directly apropos.
My two favorite writers. Whoops, that leaves out Daniel Pinkwater...
Hmm.
My two favorite English writers...
Brad Sondahl
Post by Jean
[...]
For original art, music, pottery, and literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com
Pottery sales page http://sondahl.freeyellow.com
My music site at mp3.com http://www.mp3.com/stations/sondahl
Robin Parkinson
2003-07-26 20:48:09 UTC
Post by Jean
What ho and other appropriate greetings,
This is to let you all know that at the upcoming biennial convention of
The Wodehouse Society (USA) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (8-11 August
2003) a new subchapter will be formed. This group is to be comprised of
people who are devoted to the writings of both P. G. Wodehouse and Terry
Pratchett and will be called The Drones Guild. Our proposed official
"secret" greeting is "Oh, I say, the turtle moves, what?". I haven't yet
thought of a counter-sign, but perhaps we can discuss this at our first
meeting.
You might like to consider a simple 'Indeed, sir.' However, on reflection
I suspect that this might not be completely effective as a countersign
since a self-respecting member of the Junior Ganymede (is there any other
kind?) might, on general principles, respond in that manner anyway.

Tinkety tonk,

- Robin

PS. My goodness. By the magic of crossposting, this turns out to be my
first post to a.f.p in a very long time. Evenin' all. Just passing through....
Trout: Slightly fishy but never coarse. http://www.troutmag.org
PussInSpooks
Perhaps it could be 'Indeed, as the Empress passes.'
Jean
2003-07-28 14:01:09 UTC
From: "Robin Parkinson"
Post by Jean
Our proposed official
"secret" greeting is "Oh, I say, the turtle moves, what?". I haven't yet
thought of a counter-sign, but perhaps we can discuss this at our first
meeting.
You might like to consider a simple 'Indeed, sir.' However, on reflection
I suspect that this might not be completely effective as a countersign
since a self-respecting member of the Junior Ganymede (is there any other
kind?) might, on general principles, respond in that manner anyway.
Perhaps it could be 'Indeed, as the Empress passes.'
My current favorite is "Good for the wossname, crops." Keep those
cards and letters coming, however. I'll collect them all and read them
out at the first meeting (then we'll let the champagne decide).

Yours ever,
Pighooey

PS It occurred to me I should perhaps have included a link to The
Wodehouse Society's Website in my original post.
http://www.wodehouse.org/tws.html

Here's further info in re the upcoming convention. It is by no means
too late to plan attendence at same:
http://www.wodehouse.org/Toronto.html
Donald Renouf
2003-07-31 11:02:38 UTC
From: "Robin Parkinson"
P. G. Wodehouse and Terry
Post by Jean
Pratchett and will be called The Drones Guild. Our proposed official
"secret" greeting is "Oh, I say, the turtle moves, what?". I haven't yet
thought of a counter-sign, but perhaps we can discuss this at our first
meeting.
You might like to consider a simple 'Indeed, sir.' However, on reflection
I suspect that this might not be completely effective as a countersign
since a self-respecting member of the Junior Ganymede (is there any other
kind?) might, on general principles, respond in that manner anyway.
Perhaps it could be 'Indeed, as the Empress passes.'
How about:

Sign: De Chelonian Mobile.
Counter-sign: Rem Acu Tetigisti.

Algy ffinch-ffinch