[M] Hello?
Daibhid Ceannaideach
2023-09-18 20:49:16 UTC
Hi? Anyone here?

With the Ex-Twitter busy doing whatever it's doing, I'm hedging my
social media bets, and someone on Mastodon recommended a free Usenet
server (eternal.september, which is a fun name for such a thing) so I
thought I'd pop back here and see how things are doing.

Um, it's quiet, isn't it? Although that's better than my other stomping
grounds of the Doctor Who groups, which now appear to be entirely
dominated by one poster, who I'm afraid I never had much time for at the
best of times.

Anyway, it looks like I'm sort of back, although I don't know *how* back
I am. I'm accessing eternal.september via Thunderbird, which I'm rapidly
realising was the Wrong Choice.

If anyone, for whatever weird reason, actually wants to follow me
elsewhere, then I'm "daibhidc" wherever poorly-thought-out opinions are
sold (Mastodon, Bluesky, still Twitter out of habit, and Dreamwidth when
I remember) but hopefully I will be back to sharing poorly-thought-out
opinions here as well.
Dave
[Insert insightful Discworld quote here]
Nigel Stapley
2023-09-18 21:20:26 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
[...]
I still pop in if anyone has posted anything, but it's very depressing
considering how things used to be. There are only three or four people
who ever post here at all now, so it's good to see another veteran
re-appearing.

(I use Tbird for Usenet as well, and I've never had any major problems
with it)

Thanks for giving me another chance to plug my book as well:
https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/nigelstapley
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Daibhid Ceannaideach
2023-09-19 11:25:30 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
(I use Tbird for Usenet as well, and I've never had any major problems
with it)
I'm probably still getting used to it -- for instance I didn't realise
"Reply" would send an e-mail and "Followup" was the one I wanted. I was
also a little annoyed that, given the bulk of alt.drwho.creative
apparently being one person with stuff I'm not interested in, there
doesn't seem to be a killfile so I can filter all that out and see
what's left.
John Williamson
2023-09-19 13:11:38 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
(I use Tbird for Usenet as well, and I've never had any major problems
with it)
I'm probably still getting used to it -- for instance I didn't realise
"Reply" would send an e-mail and "Followup" was the one I wanted. I was
also a little annoyed that, given the bulk of alt.drwho.creative
apparently being one person with stuff I'm not interested in, there
doesn't seem to be a killfile so I can filter all that out and see
what's left.
If you tell Thunderbird that this is a newsgroup, "reply" replies to the
group, and if you right click on the sender name in the headings, you
get an option to "create a filter" for either just the group or for your
whole news account.

Unless they've changed it since this version came out.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
James Kuyper
2023-09-19 22:44:12 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
I'm probably still getting used to it -- for instance I didn't realise
"Reply" would send an e-mail and "Followup" was the one I wanted. I was
also a little annoyed that, given the bulk of alt.drwho.creative
apparently being one person with stuff I'm not interested in, there
doesn't seem to be a killfile so I can filter all that out and see
what's left.
If you tell Thunderbird that this is a newsgroup, "reply" replies to the
group,
That's not been my experience - "Reply" sends an email to the sender
only - that behavior changed several years ago, to my considerable
annoyance. How do you tell Thunderbird that its a newsgroup?

I know that when I created the account, I selected "Newsgroup".
Reviewing the Settings for the account, it says "Server Type: News
Server (NNTP)". and one of the Message Storage options is "News.rc
File". Under "Synchronization and Storage" tab, there's a button for
"Select newsgroups for offline use.". When I select the account itself,
"Subscribe" takes me to a list of newsgroups to subscribe to. When I
post a message to the group with "Followup" or "New Message", the
resulting message has a "Newsgroup" header (which is not the case when I
select "Reply"). When I read messages posted to the newsgroup, the
Newsgroup header is displayed. Thunderbird seems to be very clear about
the fact that it's a newsgroup account.
John Williamson
2023-09-20 11:08:06 UTC
Post by James Kuyper
Post by John Williamson
If you tell Thunderbird that this is a newsgroup, "reply" replies to the
group,
That's not been my experience - "Reply" sends an email to the sender
only - that behavior changed several years ago, to my considerable
annoyance. How do you tell Thunderbird that its a newsgroup?
It may be a version thing, then. I am still on the version before they
killed the Leetkey plugin. Reply in the main toolbar replies to the
group, while using the icon in the message pane toolbar replies to the
sender only.
Post by James Kuyper
I know that when I created the account, I selected "Newsgroup".
Reviewing the Settings for the account, it says "Server Type: News
Server (NNTP)". and one of the Message Storage options is "News.rc
File". Under "Synchronization and Storage" tab, there's a button for
"Select newsgroups for offline use.". When I select the account itself,
"Subscribe" takes me to a list of newsgroups to subscribe to. When I
post a message to the group with "Followup" or "New Message", the
resulting message has a "Newsgroup" header (which is not the case when I
select "Reply"). When I read messages posted to the newsgroup, the
Newsgroup header is displayed. Thunderbird seems to be very clear about
the fact that it's a newsgroup account.
That's what I did about 15 years ago, with the slight modification that
all my documents are on a data drive, so that's where the news.rc is kept.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Dave Yeo
2023-09-21 04:51:43 UTC
Post by John Williamson
It may be a version thing, then. I am still on the version before they
killed the Leetkey plugin. Reply in the main toolbar replies to the
group, while using the icon in the message pane toolbar replies to the
sender only.
I don't think the reply button is on the toolbar by default, in which
case, right click on an empty part of the toolbar, choose customize and
drag the reply button onto the toolbar.
Or get in the habit of pressing Followup
Dave
James Kuyper
2023-09-21 05:54:06 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by John Williamson
It may be a version thing, then. I am still on the version before they
killed the Leetkey plugin. Reply in the main toolbar replies to the
group, while using the icon in the message pane toolbar replies to the
sender only.
I don't think the reply button is on the toolbar by default, in which
case, right click on an empty part of the toolbar, choose customize and
drag the reply button onto the toolbar.
It's the "Reply" button in the Message Pane Toolbar that causes me
problems, and I have not figured out how to customize that toolbar.
Post by Dave Yeo
Or get in the habit of pressing Followup
I spent more than a decade hitting "Reply" when I wanted to post a
message to the newsgroup. It's been a few years since they changed the
behavior of the "Reply" button, and I still hit "Reply" more often than
"Followup". At my age (64), it starts getting difficult to change habits
- the brain gets less flexible.
James Kuyper
I'm using 102.15.1.
Gary R. Schmidt
2023-09-21 08:21:11 UTC
Post by James Kuyper
Post by John Williamson
Post by James Kuyper
That's not been my experience - "Reply" sends an email to the sender
only - that behavior changed several years ago, to my considerable
annoyance. How do you tell Thunderbird that its a newsgroup?
It may be a version thing, then. I am still on the version before they
killed the Leetkey plugin. Reply in the main toolbar replies to the
group, while using the icon in the message pane toolbar replies to the
sender only.
I'm using 102.15.1.
Using Betterbird 102.15.1-bb41 I managed to replicate the "send an
email" behaviour by hitting "Reply" in the "Header Toolbar", which is
possibly the first time I have ever done that in all the decades I've
used SeaMonkey/Thunderbird/Betterbird. (I'm only 62, still catching up!
[1])

Usually I hit "Reply" in the Mail Toolbar, which creates a Newsgroup
message to the appropriate group(s).

And now I've just clicked on "Hide Header Toolbar" to ensure I never,
ever, ever, do it again!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

1 - But computers, email, newsfroups, and so on is what I've been been
doing for most of my life. :-)
Gary R. Schmidt
2023-09-19 14:17:58 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
(I use Tbird for Usenet as well, and I've never had any major problems
with it)
I'm probably still getting used to it -- for instance I didn't realise
"Reply" would send an e-mail and "Followup" was the one I wanted. I was
also a little annoyed that, given the bulk of alt.drwho.creative
apparently being one person with stuff I'm not interested in, there
doesn't seem to be a killfile so I can filter all that out and see
what's left.
Something is mis-configured, or you have an ancient and bug-ridden
version of TB installed. (Or it's 115 and they've broken something else.)

What does "Help->About" tell you?

If you created things using "File->New->Newsgroup Account" it should do
the right things.

And message filters are available via "Tools->Message Filters".

Cheers,
Gary B-)
Daibhid Ceannaideach
2023-09-23 14:14:33 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
(I use Tbird for Usenet as well, and I've never had any major
problems with it)
I'm probably still getting used to it -- for instance I didn't realise
"Reply" would send an e-mail and "Followup" was the one I wanted. I
was also a little annoyed that, given the bulk of alt.drwho.creative
apparently being one person with stuff I'm not interested in, there
doesn't seem to be a killfile so I can filter all that out and see
what's left.
Something is mis-configured, or you have an ancient and bug-ridden
version of TB installed.  (Or it's 115 and they've broken something else.)
What does "Help->About" tell you?
It says it's 115.2.2
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
If you created things using "File->New->Newsgroup Account" it should do
the right things.
And message filters are available via "Tools->Message Filters".
Thank you, that worked. And led to the depressing discovery that
*nobody* else is really contributing to adwc these day...
Stephen Frost
2023-09-30 22:31:39 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
If you created things using "File->New->Newsgroup Account" it should do
the right things.
And message filters are available via "Tools->Message Filters".
Thank you, that worked. And led to the depressing discovery that
*nobody* else is really contributing to adwc these day...
Usenet is going quieter all the time sadly.

I have more dead groups than live ones these days...
Sig. under development - maybe
Steveski
2023-09-19 13:24:11 UTC
Still here :-)
--
Steveski
Hi? Anyone here?
Steveski
2023-09-19 13:27:35 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Hi? Anyone here?
Shit! Top-posted. Soz

Forgot that I'd changed the setting . . . Oh, the embarrassment.
Steveski
Kerr-Mudd, John
2023-09-19 14:16:03 UTC
On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:27:35 +0100
Post by Steveski
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Hi? Anyone here?
Shit! Top-posted. Soz
Forgot that I'd changed the setting . . . Oh, the embarrassment.
It's Turtles all the way up?
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Kincaid
Bloody AOLers...
Daniel Goldsmith
2023-09-19 15:56:54 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Hi? Anyone here?
I'm here and so are some others. ppint ppops along once in a while, for
example. It _has_ been quieter here than usual recently.
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
With the Ex-Twitter busy doing whatever it's doing, I'm hedging my
social media bets, and someone on Mastodon recommended a free Usenet
server (eternal.september, which is a fun name for such a thing) so I
thought I'd pop back here and see how things are doing.
The name still gives me the yips. While its nice to remember that period
via rose-coloured glasses, the actualité was... not always all that.

<snip>
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Anyway, it looks like I'm sort of back, although I don't know *how* back
I am. I'm accessing eternal.september via Thunderbird, which I'm rapidly
realising was the Wrong Choice.
slrn is still going, it even had a 1.0 release!! tin and trn are still doing
their thing. On the Windows end, 40tude Dialog seems popular, albeit wholly
unsupported for some considerable time. There are even some users still using
Xnews...
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
If anyone, for whatever weird reason, actually wants to follow me
elsewhere, then I'm "daibhidc" wherever poorly-thought-out opinions are
sold (Mastodon, Bluesky, still Twitter out of habit, and Dreamwidth when
I remember) but hopefully I will be back to sharing poorly-thought-out
opinions here as well.
Aha! Found you on the Drum. Nice to see you Daibhid.
dgold <***@dgold.eu>
Daibhid Ceannaideach
2023-09-23 14:19:57 UTC
(Flip, I did it *again*)
Post by Daniel Goldsmith
Aha! Found you on the Drum. Nice to see you Daibhid.
Thank you. And oops, forgot I had to specify the "instance" for Mastodon!
robcraine
2023-09-20 23:55:11 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Hi? Anyone here?
< Most of message snipped to save precious bandwidth>

I'm sort of still here. Mostly to dig up old facts and Terry utterances to answer questions posted Elsewhere. I poke my nose in occaisionally, and am definitely not using the same account as I did in the 90s. But I recognise some of the names on this thread.

When Musk started displaying his lunacy, and reddit was also facing protests, I did think maybe people would end up back here.

I suppose next I need to fire up irc and head to the mended drum.
Gabe
2023-09-26 10:32:17 UTC
Post by robcraine
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Hi? Anyone here?
< Most of message snipped to save precious bandwidth>
Thank you!

[...]
Post by robcraine
I suppose next I need to fire up irc and head to the mended drum.
There's a name I haven't heard in a long...

Gabe
Kissing a fish is like smoking a bicycle.
Kincaid
Bit quiet on the IRC these days :-*
Paul .Jamison
I'm just now getting online since the first of October. I'm diagnosed with Parkinson's and it's taking some time to settle into a new routine.
Robert Carnegie
2023-11-28 21:42:00 UTC
[...]
People are avoiding alt.*.pratchett because it's gone
so quiet. :-( And of course we're missing the
man himself.

I am following "Terry Pratchett Book Club" from
<https://www.tor.com/author/emmet-asher-perrin/>
with 2023 sexual politics which I think are passing
me by. And, don't tell 'em, I'm not re-reading the
books for this. At the same time, I got stuck in
_Raising Steam_. Partly I seem to have less and
less time these days, partly I felt or imagined
an absence.
kyonshi
2023-12-25 10:10:48 UTC
[...]
Hello, I am sometimes checking back here, but somehow few discussions
actually take place here. ALthough I see some minimal uptick of posts in
some other groups. I even found a new newsserver for frp topics lately,
which is nice.
Thomas Schwarzer
2023-12-26 06:45:29 UTC
Post by Daibhid Ceannaideach
Hi? Anyone here?
Hello and Merry Christmas from a german lurker.

Not using the usenet regulary anymore, but still looking sometimes for
something new in this group.

Regards,

Thomas
ppin...@gmail.com
2024-01-24 00:48:05 UTC
[...]
- still ppint.pinto on farcebook, theoretically still feetnotes on once-livejournal;
yr hmbl srppnt. doesn't have a newsfeed and will presumably lose what's left
of googlegropes sometime next month.

- no idea whether there's a newsreader available for tablettything on google-
games; will look once i've posted this, but without a text newsgroups source...

- happy 2024, everyone still ''here'' - hoping & trusting ukafpers stay safe and
retain their thatch/tiles/slates through the end of the current storm -

- love, ppint.
--
'tis due to ppinqueans that set light
to nelson's hat
it glows at night
Nigel Stapley
2024-01-25 19:47:05 UTC
Sorry, ppint. Meant to send this to the froup. It really *is* time I left...
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Post by Daniel Goldsmith
<snip>
Post by ***@gmail.com
- still ppint.pinto on farcebook, theoretically still feetnotes on once-livejournal;
yr hmbl srppnt. doesn't have a newsfeed and will presumably lose what's left
of googlegropes sometime next month.
- no idea whether there's a newsreader available for tablettything on google-
games; will look once i've posted this, but without a text newsgroups source...
- happy 2024, everyone still ''here'' - hoping & trusting ukafpers stay safe and
retain their thatch/tiles/slates through the end of the current storm -
- love, ppint.
I've come to the conclusion that I might as well bow out of afp now.
All that's been on here for the last month has been spam, and I'm sick
of setting up new filters.
It's been fun. I miss the old days when one had to skip whole threads
simply to keep up.
Take care, old chums. It's been good to know you.
Oh. and please buy my book: https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/nigelstapley
ppin...@gmail.com
2024-01-28 09:20:38 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
Sorry, ppint. Meant to send this to the froup. It really *is* time I left...
- 's ok; errare est humanum - or in whatever order the original was,
or any tolerably sane person (or small, blue, pseudopod-extending
alien afper from arcturus) may prefer.

- love, ppint.
--
''life is sensational!''
- jackie mathews
- in 80/whatever number, regent street, lancaster
Kyonshi
2024-01-28 10:32:00 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Nigel Stapley
Sorry, ppint. Meant to send this to the froup. It really *is* time I left...
- 's ok; errare est humanum - or in whatever order the original was,
or any tolerably sane person (or small, blue, pseudopod-extending
alien afper from arcturus) may prefer.
- love, ppint.
errare humanum est

word order S-O-V (subject-object-verb) as way too many years of Latin in
school have taught me.

of course then it turns out some of the classic writers gave a shit
about word order and you can just do it however you want if you want to
make a point because the different endings indicate what is what anyway.
i***@aol.com
2024-01-25 19:54:30 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
- no idea whether there's a newsreader available for tablettything on google-
games; will look once i've posted this, but without a text newsgroups source...
Text groups only, and it's free:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

hth
--
Keith E.
Excrementum casus
kyonshi
2024-01-28 23:49:56 UTC
Post by i***@aol.com
Post by ***@gmail.com
- no idea whether there's a newsreader available for tablettything on google-
games; will look once i've posted this, but without a text newsgroups source...
http://www.eternal-september.org/
hth
yeah, but for a.f.p there's also the lspace server which also is free.
and, well, limited mostly to this group.