[NME] Terry Pratchett’s ‘Discworld’ is being turned into a tabletop RPG
Add Reply
kyonshi
2024-03-01 11:06:00 UTC
Source:
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/terry-pratchetts-discworld-is-being-turned-into-a-tabletop-rpg-3594966?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=terry-pratchetts-discworld-is-being-turned-into-a-tabletop-rpg

Terry Pratchett’s ‘Discworld’ is being turned into a tabletop RPG

A Kickstarter will be launched for the game later this year
By Ryan Easby
29th February 2024
Terry Pratchett’s bestselling series Discworld is being turned into a
tabletop roleplaying game.

Read More: How Søren Lundgaard is taking the toxicity out of video
games

Tabletop publisher Modiphius Entertainment has secured the rights to the
series, and will be launching a Kickstarter campaign for the tabletop
roleplaying game later this year. The first roleplaying game published
by them will be set in and around the city of Ankh-Morpork, a
prominently featured location in the Discworld series.

Modiphius previously released an adventure board game based on The Elder
Scrolls 5: Skyrim, as well as a title based on Fallout which allowed you
to paint miniatures and take control of a faction within the
post-apocalyptic universe.

“Terry had a lifelong affection with roleplaying games and it’s an
entirely logical path along which you can follow his career from Dungeon
Maser to him becoming one of our most celebrated and beloved fantasy
authors of all time. We are delighted to be partnering with Modiphius.
We love their work and we love their ethos and we entirely trust them to
get things right,” Rob Wilkins said on the behalf of the Pratchett
Estate in a new press release.

In the same press release, the founder of Modiphius and chief creative
officer at the company, Chris Birch, spoke about how excited the company
is to start working on a Discworld RPG.

“I’m sure many of us have Terry’s unique world in our mind’s eye when
we’re roleplaying. Ankh-Morpork has had such a special place in the
community and is full of so much character it was a great place to begin
our journeys on the Disc.”
John
2024-03-01 16:20:45 UTC
Post by kyonshi
[...]
With the author dead, it's time for the inheritors to cash out while the
franchise is fresh.

john
Kyonshi

lets call it timeless
Justisaur
2024-04-08 15:15:16 UTC
Post by John
Post by kyonshi
[...]
Somewhat related, I saw the BBC series "The Colour of Magic" was on
Prime, and watched the first episode or two, but production value was
rather poor, and it felt a bit too 'high school production' overall. I
feel like it doesn't translate well to the screen.
--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'
gbbgu
2024-03-03 23:52:00 UTC
Post by kyonshi
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/terry-pratchetts-discworld-is-being-turned-into-a-tabletop-rpg-3594966?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=terry-pratchetts-discworld-is-being-turned-into-a-tabletop-rpg
Terry Pratchett’s ‘Discworld’ is being turned into a tabletop RPG
[snip]
I know nothing about GURPS and never played any games under that system, but
this has been on my to-buy list for a while.

I wonder what will happen to this version? I assume there's some sort of legal
stuff or the rights have lapsed.

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/discworld/
gbbgu
kyonshi
2024-03-04 08:28:26 UTC
Post by gbbgu
Post by kyonshi
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/terry-pratchetts-discworld-is-being-turned-into-a-tabletop-rpg-3594966?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=terry-pratchetts-discworld-is-being-turned-into-a-tabletop-rpg
Terry Pratchett’s ‘Discworld’ is being turned into a tabletop RPG
[snip]
I know nothing about GURPS and never played any games under that system, but
this has been on my to-buy list for a while.
I wonder what will happen to this version? I assume there's some sort of legal
stuff or the rights have lapsed.
https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/discworld/
I have the Discworld GURPS game, it's not one of my favorite games. I
don't mind the GURPs rules, but the whole book seems too focused on
making characters like the over-the-top characters in the later
Pratchett books than characters that grow into a larger role (you know,
like they did in the actual books).
In any case, there were two books altogether (GURPS Discworld and
Discworld Also, as well as a 2nd ed. a few years ago that might just
have been a reissue of the first book, maybe with 4th ed. rules)
Considering SJG keeps selling a lot of stuff I assume they still can
sell and publish their version for as long as they want.

In fact a few years ago I hacked together a B/X DnD Discworld game for
use with my own group which I found much closer to the way the early
novels were written (back when it was a parody of sword and sorcery
novels and DnD, one has to remember that some of Pratchett's ideas came
directly from his DnD game)
Justisaur
2024-03-04 16:00:22 UTC
Post by kyonshi
Post by gbbgu
Post by kyonshi
[...]
Feeling a bit the same. Why do we need a whole different system to run
Discworld. Seems more like something a system neutral setting
source-book would cover far better.
--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'
James Kuyper
2024-03-04 19:53:21 UTC
Post by Justisaur
Feeling a bit the same. Why do we need a whole different system to run
Discworld. Seems more like something a system neutral setting
source-book would cover far better.
GURPS is a system-neutral setting source book. Discworld GURPS is an
adaptation of GURPS to Discworld. It's convenient for game masters who
would like some help making such an adaptations, and therefore makes
money for the authors.
kyonshi
2024-03-04 20:21:57 UTC
Post by James Kuyper
Post by Justisaur
Feeling a bit the same. Why do we need a whole different system to run
Discworld. Seems more like something a system neutral setting
source-book would cover far better.
GURPS is a system-neutral setting source book. Discworld GURPS is an
adaptation of GURPS to Discworld. It's convenient for game masters who
would like some help making such an adaptations, and therefore makes
money for the authors.
Well, the GURPS Discworld books also came with a stripped down version
of GURPS for people who don't know anything about the system. At least
in my version it's the last 30 pages in the back of the book. It's
enough to run the game for people who don't have any other interest in
the system.

(I don't really like GURPS as a system, but I do like it for the tons of
great sourcebooks the system has, I have been using ideas for multiple
games across multiple genres over the years)
dozens
2024-03-04 20:43:06 UTC
Post by kyonshi
(I don't really like GURPS as a system, but I do like it for the tons of
great sourcebooks the system has, I have been using ideas for multiple
games across multiple genres over the years)
what's one of your favorite sourcebooks?
i'm just starting to scratch the surface of gurps.
kyonshi
2024-03-05 09:10:03 UTC
Post by dozens
Post by kyonshi
(I don't really like GURPS as a system, but I do like it for the tons
of great sourcebooks the system has, I have been using ideas for
multiple games across multiple genres over the years)
what's one of your favorite sourcebooks?
i'm just starting to scratch the surface of gurps.
Oh, there's a lot of them. Especially their genre books are sometimes
really useful, and some of the other stuff gives great overviews of
their topics and ideas to work with.

Their GURPS Traveller line was always useful for any of my Mongoose
Traveller games.
Old West is a nice overview of the American West, Cliffhangers is a good
source for some pulpy 1920s adventures, Warehouse 23 has lots of
artifacts I was using for modern scenarios and Shadowrun. The whole
Transhuman Space line was pretty good, but hasn't aged all that gracefully.
I specficially was working on connecting Transhuman Space with
Traveller: Interstellar Wars for a while, but didn't manage to actually
play it. (Interstellar Wars is about the wars between Solani and Vilani
in the early history of the Traveller main setting)

I also remember liking the Mars book for the ideas it had, and the
Vorkosigan Saga book for being, well, a ttrpg adaption of the Vorkosigan
novels.