[M] Hippo Birdbath...
Nigel Stapley
2022-01-31 12:37:16 UTC
...or '30 Years On'.

I don't suppose anyone else will notice that afp is 30 today, but the
few of us who are left should mark the occasion.

I wasn't here for the beginning, only joining in the summer of 2001
(with my delurking post coming in the September or October of that
year), but the froup still had so many posts in a day that judicious use
of the 'Mark thread as read' function was the only way to keep up with it.

Now, we're lucky to get that many posts in a *year*. Egg tempera, o Maurice!

So here's to those who were seeming fixtures in the firmament of afp in
my time but who are no longer to be seen here (to name but a few): Lisa,
Dave (take your pick as to which one), Gary, Lesley, elfin & esmi,
Melody, Eric, Aelc, April, the Various Brians, Elin, Jon, Kimberley,
Leo, Marco & Orjan, Mary, Sanity, Sofia, Stacie, Sylvain, Kyle, Colette
and everyone else at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

(Some of these have moved on to what is sardonically referred to as
'social media', but as I don't to Fscksake, ***@ter or Witsuck, I haven't
seen them for a long time).

To the few of us who are left like erratics on a glacial flood plain:
Paul, ppint. grizz, steveski, Lewis...

And here's to the memory of those who have passed to where it is
Eternally September: Antti, Carrie, Joy, Elliott, Mike, Rocky and of
course, the OFIAH, without whom...

Ah, Où sont les vampire threads d'antan?
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
Matthieu Weber
2022-01-31 13:16:22 UTC
Le Mon, 31 Jan 2022 12:37:16 +0000, Nigel Stapley
Post by Nigel Stapley
...or '30 Years On'.
I don't suppose anyone else will notice that afp is 30 today, but the
few of us who are left should mark the occasion.
I wasn't here for the beginning, only joining in the summer of 2001
(with my delurking post coming in the September or October of that
year), but the froup still had so many posts in a day that judicious use
of the 'Mark thread as read' function was the only way to keep up with it.
I started lurking afp only a year ago (I'm the opposite of an early
adopter, I know), but I remember a time (in the late nineties, early
noughties) on a French linux newsroup where the traffic was indeed quite
intense. I was about to write that linux is a topic far away from that
of afp, but then I remembered Going Postal :)
Post by Nigel Stapley
Now, we're lucky to get that many posts in a *year*. Egg tempera, o Maurice!
And the same happens on said linux newsgroup.
Post by Nigel Stapley
Ah, Où sont les vampire threads d'antan?
On said social media maybe? Apparently Reddit has become the successor
of usenet in terms of variety of topics and helpful people (regarding
technical stuff, at least), except that it's Web based, centralized and
proprietary, three things I don't enjoy.

Matthieu
--
HTML lesson #42:
The only legitimate use of the greatly loathed <BLINK> tag.

Schroedinger's Cat is <BLINK>NOT</BLINK> dead.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2022-01-31 14:06:25 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
Ah, Où sont les vampire threads d'antan?
On said social media maybe? Apparently Reddit has become the successor
of usenet in terms of variety of topics and helpful people (regarding
technical stuff, at least), except that it's Web based, centralized and
proprietary, three things I don't enjoy.
Matthieu
--
The only legitimate use of the greatly loathed <BLINK> tag.
Schroedinger's Cat is <BLINK>NOT</BLINK> dead.
Ah, nostalgia.

I never 'got' the Jewish? ferret thing.

Also another froup, (afda) where they seemed to want to re-type the H2G2 radio scripts - I really couldn't see the point.
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Matthieu Weber
2022-01-31 16:18:57 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
Post by Nigel Stapley
Ah, Où sont les vampire threads d'antan?
On said social media maybe? Apparently Reddit has become the successor
of usenet in terms of variety of topics and helpful people (regarding
technical stuff, at least), except that it's Web based, centralized and
proprietary, three things I don't enjoy.
Ah, nostalgia.
I never 'got' the Jewish? ferret thing.
Also another froup, (afda) where they seemed to want to re-type the
H2G2 radio scripts - I really couldn't see the point.
Too much free time on their hands? It's either that or spray-paint the
nearest bus stop (there is obviously no possible middle ground), so I
prefer they do the script typing thing.

Matthieu

James Kuyper
2022-02-01 15:56:33 UTC
Amy Pond is <BLINK>NOT</BLINK> pregnant.
Matthieu Weber
2022-02-02 06:16:23 UTC
Le Tue, 1 Feb 2022 10:56:33 -0500, James Kuyper
Post by James Kuyper
Post by Matthieu Weber
--
The only legitimate use of the greatly loathed <BLINK> tag.
Schroedinger's Cat is <BLINK>NOT</BLINK> dead.
Amy Pond is <BLINK>NOT</BLINK> pregnant.
I agree, that would be another legitimate use of that tag. But in my
defence, I started to use this signature several years before the world
had ever heard of Amy Pond. And being a man of habit, I have never
changed it since.

Matthieu

Steveski
2022-01-31 17:18:07 UTC
Post by Nigel Stapley
[...]
Fair enough - I am pretty erratic. [1]
--
Steveski

[1] Not as much as Vince, though :-)
Nigel Stapley
2022-02-01 15:05:01 UTC
Post by Steveski
Post by Nigel Stapley
[...]
Just to check that I'd remembered my O-level Geography, I searched for
the term using the phrase "Erratic Geography". I then realised that I'd
just created a new department at UU.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>
ppin...@gmail.com
2022-02-08 09:02:13 UTC
[...]
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by Steveski
Post by Nigel Stapley
I don't suppose anyone else will notice that afp is 30 today, but the
few of us who are left should mark the occasion.
I wasn't here for the beginning, only joining in the summer of 2001
(with my delurking post coming in the September or October of that
year), but the froup still had so many posts in a day that judicious
use of the 'Mark thread as read' function was the only way to keep up
with it.
Now, we're lucky to get that many posts in a *year*. Egg tempera, o Maurice!
So here's to those [...]
[..]
Post by Nigel Stapley
Post by Steveski
Post by Nigel Stapley
Paul, ppint. grizz, steveski, Lewis...
And here's to the memory of those who have passed to where it is
Eternally September: Antti, Carrie, Joy, Elliott, Mike, Rocky and of
course, the OFIAH, without whom...
Ah, Où sont les vampire threads d'antan?
Fair enough - I am pretty erratic. [1]
Just to check that I'd remembered my O-level Geography, I searched for
the term using the phrase "Erratic Geography". I then realised that I'd
just created a new department at UU.
- and a pretty good department too - worthy of an entire round of its own
in richard osman's house of games, is erratic geography, as well as being
home to all the wandering isles of yesteryear, carefully distinguished on
reputable cartographic renderings or representations of this planet's
surface by the postscript, ''e.d.''

- love, ppint.
--
''life is sensational!''
- jackie mathews, co-inmate of 40 regent street,
lancaster, summer (7-8/)1978
Brian Howlett
2022-01-31 17:46:43 UTC
On 31 Jan, Nigel Stapley <***@judgemental.plus.com> wrote:

As one of
Post by Nigel Stapley
the Various Brians
I'm still around.

Good sigmonster!
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
"Pride is all very well, but a sausage is a sausage"
The Famous Gaspode, Men at Arms, Terry Pratchett
Dan Howell
2022-01-31 19:26:33 UTC
<glug>
Post by Brian Howlett
As one of
Post by Nigel Stapley
the Various Brians
I'm still around.
Good sigmonster!
Paul .Jamison
2022-02-01 07:27:00 UTC
I'm still here, as well. I can remember how heavy the traffic was in the day. There used to be a database of AFPers and their birthdays. I inherited the list and took over marking birthdays on semi-monthly - then monthly - basis, in my own unique way (the "Jewish ferret thing").

I haven't celebrated birthdays here in years - most of the people are no longer here, so there's not much point. I miss those days.

So. To those who have gone and to those who remain - it's been quite a trip.
Matthieu Weber
2022-02-01 08:15:43 UTC
Le Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:27:00 -0800 (PST), Paul .Jamison
Post by Paul .Jamison
I'm still here, as well. I can remember how heavy the traffic was in
the day. There used to be a database of AFPers and their birthdays. I
inherited the list and took over marking birthdays on semi-monthly -
then monthly - basis, in my own unique way (the "Jewish ferret
thing").
As I am late to this party, would anyone be so kind as to describe this
“Jewish ferret thing”?

Matthieu

Paul .Jamison
One of the make-believe ferret characters I created, who participated in the many birthday salutes I used to publish, was Rabbi Sammy. A favorite character of mine, actually.
Matthieu Weber
2022-02-02 06:17:47 UTC
Post by Paul .Jamison
I'm still here, as well. I can remember how heavy the traffic was in
the day. There used to be a database of AFPers and their birthdays. I
inherited the list and took over marking birthdays on semi-monthly -
then monthly - basis, in my own unique way (the "Jewish ferret
thing").
As I am late to this party, would anyone be so kind as to describe this
“Jewish ferret thing”?
One of the make-believe ferret characters I created, who participated
in the many birthday salutes I used to publish, was Rabbi Sammy. A
favorite character of mine, actually.
Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me :)

Matthieu

Lewis
2022-02-02 17:02:12 UTC
Post by Paul .Jamison
One of the make-believe ferret characters I created, who participated
in the many birthday salutes I used to publish, was Rabbi Sammy. A
favorite character of mine, actually.
What a minute, what do you mean MAKE-BELIEVE?
--
It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It
said the universe had done all it could, but you were still
alive.
Paul .Jamison
2022-02-03 05:29:18 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Paul .Jamison
One of the make-believe ferret characters I created, who participated
in the many birthday salutes I used to publish, was Rabbi Sammy. A
favorite character of mine, actually.
What a minute, what do you mean MAKE-BELIEVE?
Well, I made the Ferret Crew up. At least I think I did. It's entirely possible that, in another reality, these weasels are reading what I'm saying and laughing their furry tails off.
alive.
Lewis
2022-02-03 17:57:31 UTC
Post by Paul .Jamison
Post by Lewis
Post by Paul .Jamison
One of the make-believe ferret characters I created, who participated
in the many birthday salutes I used to publish, was Rabbi Sammy. A
favorite character of mine, actually.
What a minute, what do you mean MAKE-BELIEVE?
Well, I made the Ferret Crew up. At least I think I did. It's entirely possible that, in another reality, these weasels are reading what I'm saying and laughing their furry tails off.
My world is askew!

:)
--
Today the road all runners come/Shoulder high we bring you home. And
set you at your threshold down/Townsman of a stiller town.
Nigel Stapley
2022-02-01 15:05:55 UTC
Post by Paul .Jamison
I'm still here, as well. I can remember how heavy the traffic was in the day. There used to be a database of AFPers and their birthdays. I inherited the list and took over marking birthdays on semi-monthly - then monthly - basis, in my own unique way (the "Jewish ferret thing").
And I *still* can't see a ferret IRL without wondering where he's left
his yarmulke.
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley